OutFront live Mon. – Fri. 7p ET

After nearly seven weeks on the run, suspected cop killer Eric Matthew Frein is in custody, Pennsylvania State Police spokeswoman Connie Devens said. Erin Burnett has the latest.
March 2nd, 2012

Israel, U.S. 'talking up the military option' on Iran

Former assistant secretary of state for public affairs Jamie Rubin says both the United States and Israel are "talking up the military option" in recent days amid growing concern over a nuclear Iran. But how much of that talk is bluffing?

Filed under: National Security
  1. Perk

Iran agrees to nuke inspection and we'll see what happens, when that happens and no one asked when that was going to take place but ABC has the video up. Iran is going to behave and try to get along within the international community ? Obama says he thinks they know how to do that. "Down by The Riverside"... and don't want to study no war no more. Peace in No nukes and no wars ! Cease fire Syria or John McCain will organize an air strike and they're not playing.No games and no politics to make a decision. Consider consequences ? No doubt and what does war mean for we the people and our troops. God bless the USA !

March 6, 2012 at 3:43 pm | Reply
  2. David B.

I don't think Israel is bluffing.Once the clerical regime in Iran has at least one nuclear bomb in hand, it could be delivered to
    a proxy in Gaza,Lebanon, or Iraq.Then it would be loaded onto a plane and flown into Israel by a suicide pilot.There would be no evidence to trace the bomb back to Iran.

March 5, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Reply
  3. John S

Iran has repeated many times its desire to wipe Israel off the map. Nobody should question that. Would they use a nuclear bomb against Israel is anybody's guess. I find it interesting that the US and Israel are not really speaking the same language here. This is obviously a World concern if Iran does develop a nuclear capability in a weapon. But it
    really is more of a Israel concern for the most part. I think the problem is Israel needs help from the US in logistics if nothing else to pull off a attack on Iran. I think Obama is reluctant in a election year to get involved in another conflict.

March 5, 2012 at 1:32 pm | Reply
    • stan t

iran never ONCE claimed to want to wipe isreal from the map. not once. the expression doesnt even exist in persian. when the furor over the mistranslation of the quote you talk about was at it's heights, iran went so far as to say they would be willing to officially recognize the state of israel if the palestinians resolved to do so in a democratic manner.

March 5, 2012 at 2:37 pm | Reply
  4. faruk

every body is talking about irans intention of buliding of nuclear bomb.when israel already have in their stock.isreal should follow the history nobody will be as power full as forever. iran has no history of attack any country.isreal is digging his own hole for their distruction.all those talks are bluffing. offering friend ship is the solution of all problems.if isreal had a good relation with iran before why not now? no body used nuclear bomb except usa.i donot think any country could use in future.

March 5, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Reply
    • Opinion

First off, your grammar is aweful! Second, maybe you should do some history research yourself. Iran has never attacked another country?!?!?! Try Iraq. They may not have nuked another country, but that could simply be because they have never had one to use. Now it is my opinion that nobody will drop the bomb on Israel because of the holy city of Jerusalem, but who knows what religious extremists will do, their religions tell them not to kill, but they do. So we'll just have to wait and see.

March 5, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Reply
      • stan t

umm... YOU need to be the one looking at the history books. IRAQ attacked iran. not the other way around. Iran's fighting was defensive in nature.

March 5, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Reply
        • Opinion

Stan, you got me. I was wrong. I'm sorry that I don't remember who attacked first, I mean it was 1980, and I wasn't even alive. Reguardless, I have witnessed first hand what religious extremists can and will do. I stand behind Iran not having nuclear capabilities. They have killed many with home made IED's, I don't even want to try to think about how many could die if they had full-on nuclear warheads and an extremist was in charge.

March 5, 2012 at 3:11 pm | Reply
  5. Michael

Majority of Americans are broke, ignorant, and don't know where Iran sits on a map, so how is it that the majority of Americans support war with Iran? Im calling BS on this one. If Iran wanted Nukes they would acquire them from Russia or Pakistan on the black market, and set them off covertly within the Jewish state without drawing all the negative attention!

March 5, 2012 at 11:05 am | Reply
  6. Mike

Is there any news here? Or just mindless speculation and double-guessing about what someone else is thinking? The more this non-news news is broadcast, the more speculation there is about war, the higher the price of oil, the less bite the sanctions have since fewer barrels sold by Iran equal the same income, and the more likely Irsrael will nuke them. Not only is this not news, but it's MAKING the news. Why is bandwidth wasted on this guy? He has nothing smart to say. He just jumps on the bandwagon churning the same crap over. This is why I cannot reply on CNN.

March 5, 2012 at 10:29 am | Reply
  7. Arturo Jabra'il Sancho

Erin, I'm starting to believe posting comments on your site, is a sham. They never appear.

I'd like to believe that you have a progressive show, but the ratings don't cofirm it.

Just another carbon copy wanna be of the authentic CNBC CIRCLE...

Sorry darling, but I'm finished on coming back to your point of view, and show!

March 3, 2012 at 11:38 am | Reply
  8. Danny de Gracia, II

It's probably 90% saber rattling, 10% actual plans but the problem is somewhere along the lines people have the tendency to forget talking points used for political gain and then it becomes bad national policy. I would be very concerned about this getting out of hand. As it is 32% of the American people believe Iran is their biggest threat and enemy. So I would say this is something that has the potential to become very dangerous. As for me, I'm praying for peace.

March 2, 2012 at 9:15 pm | Reply
  9. Annunaki

This will be the beging of the earth pains if this tough talk is not bluffing ,

March 2, 2012 at 7:54 pm | Reply