OutFront live Mon. – Fri. 7p ET

After the announcement of American Alan Gross being released from a Cuban prison, President Obama announces an end to an approach he says "for decades has failed" U.S. interests.
May 24th, 2012

Erin Burnett celebrates Mark Haines

CNN's Erin Burnett remembers her friend and mentor, Mark Haines.

Filed under: E-Block
  1. thetruckinglife

glad i did not know of this show, just cause i would probably miss it to much.
    nice to catch a glimpse of what Erin did prior to CNN

June 3, 2012 at 10:33 am | Reply
  2. Narine Singh

Mark Haines is man that uses common sense to make his point .Most time ,he is on the right side of the issue. He was business on cnbc .As you rest in Peace in the hands of the lord ,Erin is contributing to your legacy.

May 25, 2012 at 8:39 am | Reply
  3. Don Flowers

Somehow mornings haven't been the same without the two of you together. And somehow I don't understand the the financial world as well without Mark. And what meat will he have for lunch today?
    Thanks for remembering "our morning friend."

May 25, 2012 at 7:45 am | Reply
  4. Calvin

I used to watch you and Mark every morning. I am a better person for the experience of having watched you both. The humanity, humility, tenacity and chemistry you shared together was magic. The world is less of a place without Mark in it. But we are more human for having known him.

May 25, 2012 at 2:31 am | Reply
  5. Myra Lynch

Thanks for remembering Mark Haines tonight. My husband and I loved watching him for so many years, When you two began anchoring Squawk on the Street, it seemed like such an unlikely combo - but it turned out you were great together and produced a terrific and very informative show. Mark was a class act and is truly missed. And he would be proud of your success at CNN. Keep up the good work!

May 25, 2012 at 12:30 am | Reply
  6. dlr2

...and we enjoyed welcoming you both into our living rooms in the morning while we ate b'fast, drank our coffee, followed the day in the markets, etc. It was fun, but it was businessmatic and to the point. The no free lunch and take no prisoners was incredibly refreshing in a world inundated with the politically correct. I miss the way he would set people, like barney frank, straight when they were totally wrong, which with frank is most of the time.

RIP, Mark. Erin, please plan on sticking around for a while :)

May 25, 2012 at 12:13 am | Reply
  7. patrick mayer

Erin,

6 years ago I left Silicon Valley and moved to Bend, Oregon and took up a new profession...stock trading. I started watching CNBC for the first time in my life and was introduced to Mark Haines. My first impression of him was that he was an arrogant snob and couldn't understand why he was on CNBC. But he grew on me. You came on CNBC a little later and it was magic. I really believe you will anchor NBC nightly news. Anyway, I watched live on Mark's last day and I felt the emotion. Rarely does that come through TV, but it did that day. When he died, I cried and I don't do that very often. You guys were part of my life for 5 years and I felt it. I was gonna reach out to you then but felt it was out of place.

Thank you for remembering him and for keeping your dreams alive. Mark would be proud of you.

All the best,

Patrick Mayer

May 24, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Reply
  8. Joey at Purdue Univ

I used to love waking up to you guys on Squawk on the Street. I mean, Andrew Sorkin & Becky Quick are cool and all, but I remember you & Mark *specifically* because it was such a big part of my memories of starting business school a few years ago. At the time I probably didn't understand half of what you all were saying, but I knew I could count on Mark Haines for some clear-eyed assessment of the facts behind the figures.

Even though I know a little more about the way things work in because of my corporate finance classes and stuff, I'm still a student & quite a novice at most of it, and I sure wish I could still start my day catching Mark's insights into why things are happening the way they're happening in the world. I learned a lot then, and sure wish there was still a voice like his to teach me more.

All the best to you & the Haines family.

May 24, 2012 at 9:55 pm | Reply