OutFront live Mon. – Fri. 7p ET

John Kerry says Ebola "has the potential to become a scourge like HIV or polio that we will end up fighting - all of us - for decades." Erin Burnett has the latest.
May 29th, 2012

"Bath Salts" to blame for man eating 75% of victim's face

Drugs known as bath salts are being blamed for a truly gruesome scene in Miami.

A naked man was shot dead on Saturday by police as he was gnawing off another man's face. 31-year old Rudy Eugene was described to be in a "zombie-like" state when he was caught by police. Armando Aguilar, president of the Miami fraternal order of police, suspects that Eugene was under the influence of so-called "bath salts.", which are sold as "cocaine substitutes" or "synthetic LSD".

Dr. Charles Sophy, is a psychiatrist at the Los Angeles county department of children and family services comes OutFront.

Filed under: Crime
  1. Dog Bath Tubs

Thanks for some other magnificent post. The place else may just anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect means of writing? I've a presentation subsequent week, and I'm on the look for such information.

July 24, 2012 at 11:13 am | Reply
  2. Antwoine From Atlanta

I miss the days when people got high and all you had to worry about is stocking the shelves of the Quickie-Mart becasue the stoners would purchase all the chips, cakes and candybars and eat all the munchies they could find. Now a days Stoners go to the Quickie-Mart to get high and then eat people.

June 4, 2012 at 10:45 am | Reply
    • Lonnie Jackson

It's because they are tweakers, not stoners.

June 5, 2012 at 12:58 am | Reply
  3. Antwoine From Atlanta

Since most of the "stores" that sell this crap are basically gas stations, maybe we can get big oil onboard and get these small buinsess to stop selling any past, present or future blends of these so-called bath salts.

June 4, 2012 at 10:42 am | Reply
    • lucy in the sky

Antwoine, really? What does big oil have to do with anything? You think they know or care what people are selling in the Quickie Mart in Anytown, USA? Get a clue. This in on the owners of the individual stores. They choose what products are sold, and most of them could probably care less what these products do to someone because they are making money. And even if they stop selling them, somebody somewhere will come up with some new thing to sniff, snort or inject. They always do. I mean who was the first person to make meth. Who would think tidy cat, drano and red devil lye would combine into something that can make you high? Desperate people always find a way to get their fix.

June 4, 2012 at 3:37 pm | Reply
  4. casts

What was the name of the victim? Is he (role in this zombie film) that insignificant that the writer didn't even bother to get his name and include it his tweet?

June 2, 2012 at 10:53 pm | Reply
    • casts

*this* tweet rather

June 2, 2012 at 10:54 pm | Reply
  5. Josh

Bath Salts are no joke, prob the most dangerous drug ive come across. People lose their mind and cant control what they are doing for 2 or 3 days. It is way worse than coke, pills, anything because all the person does is hallucinate the whole time. Most of the time it ends up getting violent, but usually not face eating violent.

June 2, 2012 at 8:19 am | Reply
  6. Cindy

We have banned this substance here, but kids can still get them from under the counter at these hispanic businesses. They just seem to change the name on them and start reselling.

May 31, 2012 at 10:30 am | Reply
  7. if it looks like a Zombie ...then chances are ....it is.

"maybe" bath salt? no my friend, this was a zombie regardless of what the hell "IT" took.

May 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm | Reply
  8. MIRANDA

THIS-IS-MESSED-UP!!!!–MADE-ME-SICK!!!!

May 30, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Reply
  9. Muzzleblast

True signs of the Zombie Apocalypse!

May 30, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Reply
  10. Shyone

This is not "cocaine-like behavior." This is evidence of a powerful psychotropic drug similar to belladonna, jimson weed or even scopolamine, which produce vivid, deranged hallucinations. Having had a great deal of experience with cocaine users I can tell you that I've never heard of this type of lunacy enacted while on the drug. I have also seen the psychosis that can come from extended periods of use due to sleep-deprivation and it doesn't even come close to this. I believe reporting it as being a "cocaine-like" high is irresponsible journalism. Coke users will be attracted to bath salts thinking they will capture the same mild euphoric state that cocaine produces, but they will get something completely different. Even describing it as "LSD-like" would be inaccurate because the hallucinations common to LSD intoxication are generally rooted in the environment the user is experiencing at the moment. By contrast, the hallucinations produced by large doses of tropane alkaloids found in plants like belladonna, jimson, etc. are completely disconnected from reality and are invariably unpleasant and terrifying.

May 30, 2012 at 12:31 pm | Reply
    • peanut

These are not herb induced psychosis this is chemical, PCP or Formaldehyde dipped smoking products cause these reactions.

May 30, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Reply
  11. kevinkatovic

I actually just had some bath salts from the dead sea. I know this is not the same thing and this is a real problem and my insensitivity to the victims involved might make me a bit of a loser but sorry. I put so much bath salts in today I floated on the surface of my tub like I was in somewhere in the mederterainthedumb. Sorry I should of took the $216 bucks turns out it was all over for me after that. Who knew it was a woman. What a number.

May 29, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Reply
    • Diamond Dave

Sir, are you on some sort of drug which makes your stupidity obvious?

June 4, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Reply
      • kevinkatovic

My stupidity is envious not obvious.

June 26, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Reply