OutFront live Mon. – Fri. 7p ET

A day after meeting with Atty. Gen. Eric Holder, Michael Brown's mother held out hope that she could eventually believe in the investigations into her 18-year-old's death. Erin Burnett has more.
May 31st, 2012

Bloomberg's war on big soda: Whose side are you on?

CNN's Erin Burnett tackles NYC Mayor Mike Bloomberg's latest attempt to ban the sale of sugary drinks sold in containers larger than 16 ounces.

Editor-in-Chief Reason Magazine. Matt Welch and Director, Food Inc., Robert Kenner comes OutFront.

Filed under: Economy • Politics
  1. Susan

We live in a democracy, enough of goverenment telling us what we can and cannot do, long live the free market place, persuit of happiness, freedom of speech etc. If Mayor Bloomberg ban goes into effect, what happens to all the resturant, starbucks, dunkin donuts, mc donalds, etc. People should be allowed to make their own choices without the Nanny State telling what to do.

June 4, 2012 at 2:29 pm | Reply
  2. Jason

Good bye any latte over 16 Oz? Exempting Beer and milkshakes? Thank you O powerful Zar of what you think I should think, eat, and drink... Dear Mr Bloomburg you are not the nanny of the whole country go play golf and stop talking on TV please you are giving the Totalitarian Nazis ideas on how to shave of some of the cost of their socialized medicine.

June 4, 2012 at 12:24 am | Reply
  3. Eric

This is heavy hitting reporting. Bringing up an article about dogs to describe humans is real nice. Since the brains of humans and dogs are so similar. Sadly, dogs lack the higher level brain functions of humans. At least most humans. This is not how you combat the obesity epidemic in this country. People will continue to drink soda regardless. Why are gyms not free? Why is it that the state, federal and local governments aren't opening gyms for their citizens to use for free? I never understood why people aren't demanding that. I see all major news agencies comparing this ban to smoking bans but they're apples and oranges. Me sitting in a movie theater drinking a soda, which I don't drink soda anyway, but if I did it would only be affecting me. Smoking doesn't just affect me, it affects those around me. I suppose the smoking ban because it prevents OTHER peoples decisions from damaging MY health. I do not support this ban because someone drinking a soda is not hurting me. Drop of Mayor and Erin, people are not dogs and MOST have the higher level brain functions giving them the ABILITY to choose for themselves.

June 3, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Reply
  4. snodog

whats going to keep people from buying 2 16oz drinks?
    Are they going to have ration cards? Yep, you've bought a 16oz drink today, no more for you.

June 3, 2012 at 1:15 pm | Reply
  5. flip

Bloomberg, or should I say Heil Bloomberg is acting like any political thug that has been in office so long that they forget that they are living in a democracy.
    Another reason, do I detect the early warning signs of sinility?

June 2, 2012 at 11:12 pm | Reply
  6. pt6071

"It's consentual choice of what people put into their own bodies." Exactly–LEGALIZE POT.

June 2, 2012 at 7:46 am | Reply
  7. Michael Morales

Mayor Bloomberg of New York City is an idiot!!!! He wants to ban sodas that come in more than 16ozs.He is contraditing herself by saying people can buy 2 16ozs sodas makes no sense. What's next? A ban on super size fries from Mcdonalds! New Yorkers go to New Jersey for your big gulp sodas!!!

June 1, 2012 at 11:04 pm | Reply
  8. Joshua the Agnostic

So you can walk around with a 40 of Natty Light but Sprite is bad for you. Got it.

June 1, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Reply