OutFront live Mon. – Fri. 7p ET

Pres. Barack Obama will make his announcement about issuing an executive action on immigration during a prime time address tonight. Erin Burnett has a preview.
June 1st, 2012

Fmr. Romney aide: "I'm very comfortably gay and I'm very comfortably conservative."

The foreign policy adviser to Mitt Romney who became so controversial that he quit his job before he even started.

Richard Grenell was named foreign policy spokesman for Romney back in April. But he immediately faced a backlash from some conservatives because he was gay. The Romney campaign asked him to lay low until the storm blew over, but he resigned just days later.

CNN's Erin Burnett asked him if he was surprised by the outcry over his sexuality.

We wanted Grenell to stay, says Romney

Mitt Romney said Friday his team encouraged Richard Grenell, a spokesman who resigned after less than two weeks on the job, to stay with the campaign.

"We wanted him to stay with our team," Romney said in an interview on Fox News. "He is a very accomplished spokesperson."

FULL POST

Filed under: Politics
  1. Doof

Gay and republican? It is like compassionate and republican. Don't make sense.

June 6, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Reply
  2. seriously

I know, It is like saying religious and democrat!

June 5, 2012 at 9:17 am | Reply
  3. NewUSCitizen

I don't believe this for one second. As a new observer and soon to be participant in a US federal election, I don't currently have any special loyalty to either party, having registered as an independent. I do feel however, that the Republican Party is a party of elitists, largely catering to the more affluent, church indoctrinated, white person. They are certainly more pro-business, but carry a general "Joe average be damned" when choosing who will benefit from legislation. The Democrats on the other hand, have been less than responsible in controlling the public purse. But, they certainly seem to be more dedicated to the populous' betterment. In this case, gay and the church driven Republicans appear to mix like oil and water. While Mitt says he wanted this guy to remain on his staff, I believe it is only lip service as he certainly doesn't want to alienate the bible-thumpers. Good on Richard Grenell for being honest about who he is. Bad on MItt and his organisation for running him out of town.

June 4, 2012 at 10:11 pm | Reply
  4. JP

Being gay and conservative is fine, but how can he support a candidate who has stated his intention to outlaw gay marriage and civil unions? I am conservative too but am supporting Obama this year. It's the only choice I have unless I want to be relegated to a second class citizen without rights. I deserve to be equal, so do millions of others, so I have to support the only candidate who stands for equality.

June 4, 2012 at 1:31 pm | Reply
  5. New Gawker

Being gay and republican is right up there with being poor or middle class and republican. Basically it's like a turkey who celebrates thanksgiving.

June 4, 2012 at 12:45 pm | Reply
  6. Goof

Gay and republican? It is like poor and republican. Don't make sense.

June 4, 2012 at 11:15 am | Reply
    • meal ticket

Yeah, Like a democrat and hard working or democrat and doesn't want something for nothing. Don't make sense.

June 5, 2012 at 11:19 am | Reply