OutFront live Mon. – Fri. 7p ET

After the announcement of American Alan Gross being released from a Cuban prison, President Obama announces an end to an approach he says "for decades has failed" U.S. interests.
June 25th, 2012

Why women still can't have it all: Author of controversial article comes OutFront

Facebook named a woman to its board for the first time today – Sheryl Sandberg, who has been second-in-command to Mark Zuckerberg at the company for the past four years.

She's been very vocal on the issue of why there aren't many women in most of the high-paying, high-power jobs in this country. She believes that women often fail to reach the top because they don't always outwardly demonstrate the career ambition they feel inside.

She also believes that while it isn't easy, women can certainly succeed in their careers and find a wonderful husband if they work extremely hard in their twenties.

But another woman, a former State Department official, has the exact opposite opinion. She believes that women still can't have it all, and her article, bearing that title, is bouncing around the internet and has quickly become the most popular ever to appear on The Atlantic magazine's website. Erin sits down with Anne-Marie Slaughter to discuss her views and the future of women in the workplace.

Filed under: News
  1. John Smith

Sure women can have it all. When men have been completely emasculated, and they take over the world!

June 27, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Reply
  2. Amy

I still think it is very difficult for both husband and wife to reach their full career potential. I have definately made sacrifices in my career for my husband's career and my desire to still be able to parent too. I work for a fortune 100 company and all the women above me are the sole or major bread winner. I definately feel it is impossible to both reach your full career potential and raise a family.

June 27, 2012 at 3:46 pm | Reply
  3. Brubaker

It's unfortunate that we are focused on justifying both or even either parent being estranged from their children due to long hours, frequent trips, and general work distraction in an effort to "have it all". It's sad and pathetic that we've fallen for the illusive bait of extreme capitalism (at all costs) and believe the rat race is worth our familys' harmony, as long as we are able to get a new Escalade every three years. What? The kids are hungry? Throw in a frozen pizza!

June 27, 2012 at 9:40 am | Reply
  4. Tran-Easternsailor

The First Lady Jacqueline Kennedy have set the standard and not only for the women and the men as well!

June 26, 2012 at 8:29 pm | Reply
  5. Anthony Horan

The cruel dichotomy that pertains to 'having it all' is that childbearing needs to be postponed to about 35 to reach the top levels, exactly the age of sudden deterioration in egg quality. Women headed to the top should freeze their eggs in their 20's when the fertility of said eggs is about 70%. After 35, only 10% are fertile. Male fertility deteriorates only slightly in the 40's.

June 26, 2012 at 10:01 am | Reply
  6. dhondi

great piece here, good job cnn.

June 26, 2012 at 9:25 am | Reply
  7. Kathleen Durazo

I have worked full time since 1972 while raising 3 children. I actually had a mn tell me that my children would grow up to be "juvenile delinquents" because I worked outside the home. When my kids were sick I would lie and say that I was sick. Corporate America did not want to hire married women especially those with children because "we would take too much time off" . I am now an executive director for a very large, national non-profit organization and proud of the professional advancements I've made, but it hasn't been easy to juggle both work and family commitments. Their was so much discrimination back then and there still exits societal biases gainst women. I could write a book about all the social prejudices I have had to overcome.

June 26, 2012 at 12:08 am | Reply
  8. J

-Query: Why don't men always talk about, "Wanting It All?"
    -Answer: Because it is silly; in what portion does anyone get It All?
    Sorry, this answer is taken up by a lack of space to respond....

June 25, 2012 at 8:33 pm | Reply