July 24th, 2012

Erin Burnett OutFront LIVE BLOG: Special report from Mali border (CLOSED)

Erin Burnett is reporting LIVE at 7p ET  from the border of Mali with a special edition of Erin Burnett OutFront. Erin takes a look at the rising threat of terrorism in Northern Africa, the human cost and the response by the United States.

The OutFront LIVE BLOG is now CLOSED. Thank you for your participation.

Welcome to the "Erin Burnett OutFront" LIVE BLOG. Digital Producer Leinz Vales will moderate. Follow the conversation, share your comments, pose your questions, and check back often for updates.

Note: If you can't see the live blog, please click HERE.

We encourage you to share your comments, ask questions, and maybe even record a webcam response to post to the feed.

A few ground rules:

* All comments and video submissions will be moderated, so please refrain from using any inappropriate language or gestures. We want to keep this a lively, interesting conversation.

* Any webcam submissions are limited to one minute long. Try to keep your responses short.

* By posting in this live blog, you agree any comments & content with your name and profile picture may be used by CNN, its affiliates and licensees in all media. CNN.com/privacy

Follow us on Twitter: @OutFrontCNN and friend us on Facebook: facebook.com/OutFrontCNN

Filed under: International • Live Blog • OutFront Exclusive
  1. johnny

African Union have their heads in the sand???

July 25, 2012 at 7:20 am | Reply
  2. Anthony Horan

I believe Mali is overpopulated relative to its political economy. I proper push for modern contraception including reversible vasal ligation is part of the answer. If French catholicism is preventing this, that is evil.

July 24, 2012 at 11:37 pm | Reply
  3. Lindsay Boyd

I just caught the last 5 minutes of tonights episode, showing children tying string to birds by one leg, and hanging them upside down, until they died; when asked that they stop, the children said they only would if they were given soccer balls..... right at this moment, I am so angry and disgusted, I am not quite sure what to say. It is not disgusting enough what we do to each other as humans, we now find amusment in the torture and torment of innocent animals because they have nothing better to do and are bored???? I am finding more and more every day, that I like individual people, but i certainly do NOT like our race as humans. I am just heart broken at this cruelty, but I wont write what my answer to this outrage is, because I would be accused of being an animal extremest, and I certainly and starting to sway more and more that way.

July 24, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Reply
  4. ROAN

I have worked in this part of the world in Mali, Burkina and Algeria for 15 years. I had 400 Tuaregs working for me at one point and love them. I believe the US could solve this problem very quickly if they wanted to. I have seen enough US assets in the area to know they understand the area. I was very disappointed that the program did not contact Jeremy Keenan to comment on the issues. He is the world Tuareg expert. I have been closer to AQIM than I wish to admit. I believe they are a group managed by the DRS in Algeria. THis area will not be solved until the drug trafficing is solved. There are tonnes and tonnes of cocaine going thru this region each month and have been for a long time. Solve that problem and the north will revert to th beautiful area it is. My heart is saddened by the destruction at Timbuctou. That alone should engage Westen Military to protect that for humankind. Unfortunately drug profits and appeasing DRS seem to be more important. Or it is an election year and nothing will happen unless it helps Obama get re elected.

July 24, 2012 at 8:15 pm | Reply
  5. Peter B

Erin Burnett's Mali report was an outstandng piece of journalism about a dire situation, in the best tradition of Ed Murrow.and Christiane Amanpour. Deserves a Peabody or a Pulitzer.

July 24, 2012 at 8:11 pm | Reply
  6. Umm Lila

The Ansar Dine have their own version of sharia law. Please don't let people think that they are representative of religious Muslims everywhere

July 24, 2012 at 7:31 pm | Reply
  7. Narine Singh

Mali in entropy and only a few seem to care . God is the answer and few prayers too .we shall overcome someday but it all up me and you .

July 24, 2012 at 7:01 pm | Reply
    • khadi cisse

I just watch it, very sad, this is my country, I can't believe we are falling under these fanatics hands

July 24, 2012 at 8:07 pm | Reply