OutFront live Mon. – Fri. 7p ET

After the announcement of American Alan Gross being released from a Cuban prison, President Obama announces an end to an approach he says "for decades has failed" U.S. interests.
August 2nd, 2012

Romney's horse can talk? MoveOn: "Romney's horse will be treated better than Americans"

Ann Romney's dressage horse Rafalca is at the center of a new ad attacking her husband Mitt Romney on being an elitist and out of touch with the middle class.

The liberal group MoveOn.org released an ad from the horse’s point of view.

“My name's Rafalca, the Romney's dressage horse… How do I pull off such grace and athleticism while looking so good? Maybe it's because the Romneys spend $77,000 per year on my upkeep.”

MoveOn.org’s executive director said the group wasn’t trying to attack how the Romney’s care for their horse. They just want the public to be aware of its expense.

“We're rooting for Rafalca and all of our Olympians to bring home the gold, but we're sure not rooting for Mitt Romney to send jobs overseas,” Justin Ruben wrote in a statement.

The ad concludes with, “After Mitt Romney repeals health care and ships your jobs overseas, I daresay your life won't be nearly as pampered as mine. After all, you're not one of his horses.”

While the Romneys do have an expensive horse, it’s also fair to point out that MoveOn.org is spending a pretty penny on their ad.

OutFront tonight: CNN Contributor John Avlon, Republican Strategist Leslie Sanchez, and Fmr. Director of Speechwriting for Pres. Clinton Michael Waldman.

Looking a dressage horse in the mouth

The liberal group MoveOn.org will run a thirty-second television spot in battleground states mocking Rafalca, the dressage horse competing at the London Olympics that is co-owned by Ann Romney.

The group said the total buy amounted to five figures, which will be used to air the ad in Nevada, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

The ad is told from the perspective of the horse.

"My name's Rafalca, the Romney's dressage horse," the ad begins. MoveOn.org uses a poorly-executed English accent as the voice of the Romney's horse.

FULL POST

Filed under: 2012 Election • Politics
  1. Beth

We all know it's easy to mock dressage. But honestly a political ad attacking a US Olympic athlete that is currently representing our country? Really?

August 7, 2012 at 12:05 am | Reply
  2. warren41

@alpg49 I have owned horses and never ridden them. But when they win you can not understand the theraputic value. I would not say that is an excessive amount to be spent on a hourse of this caliber.

August 6, 2012 at 4:05 pm | Reply
  3. gail in mn

It doesn't bother me that Ann Romney has and expensive dancing horse for her ms. What does bother me is that they took a $70,000 tax deduction for it.On that note, I should be able to take a vacation, and keep track of any expenses and get a deduction because it's good for my mental health. Or deduct $150 walking shoes because walking is good for my health. My gripe with Ann Romney isn't her fancy horse or her cadilacs, it's that since she's got a fancy tax man and I don't, she gets all these breaks.

August 6, 2012 at 1:20 pm | Reply
  4. B

I'm lean liberal and will be voting for Obama in November, but I'm getting a little tired of the shortsighted attacks on dressage and the expense. The expense of maintaining an Olympic athlete is high in any sport-between coaching, equipment, and therapy, not to mention proper nutrition and supplements, the costs are very high, even for sports like track. Despite the fact that Rafalca is an animal, she is an Olympic athlete, and has many of the same needs the human athletes do. The US does not pay its Olympics athletes unless they win a medal (and then it isn't very much), so they need sponsorship. We would not have an Olympic team if it weren't for people like the Romneys who love the sport and choose to support it in some small way.

You don't need to be a millionaire to ride dressage, or have horses, but it is something that is out of reach for the poor. I make about 40,000 per year and am able to live in a nice place and board 2 horses at a nice barn that isn't too far away and still contribute to my savings monthly. Most of my students make about what I make or perhaps a little more, but are also very able to afford lessons or training and showing in addition to their board and other expenses. But most sports require some financial commitment, whether it is running shoes every few months or a new set of golf clubs. I don't see many people who are stuggling to put food on the table spending money on those things either.

August 6, 2012 at 12:58 pm | Reply
  5. I like horses too

Tens of thousands of people in the US own horses, for therapy, hobby, pride of ownership, breeding, racing, and just for the fun of it. So what: we go after everyone who ever ran for the office, who owns livestock? That would be the majority of former presidents regardless of Democrat or Republican. Rafalca is one gorgeous horse, wish it were mine, but I couldn't afford the upkeep anymore than I could having children. So I don't have children. I live within my means. The Romney's live within theirs. It's the American way. I think MoveOn should just move out.

August 6, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Reply
  6. Hoosier

Caring for that horse for a year is only a FRACTION of what it takes to send the elitist Michele and the private schooled snobby kids on a weekend holiday. The Dems are grasping at straws! And since that straw is full of MANURE, it'll stick & stink!!!

August 6, 2012 at 8:41 am | Reply
    • I like horses too

Anyone watching the Olympics on TV cannot help but notice Michelle showing up at so many events. I suppose the American people are paying for her little vacation in London, with all the entourage and security, as part of some ambassador of good will gesture. But she probably needs all the photo-ops with medalists to make her look good. Stay home, Michelle, and quit bilking the US of tax dollars, or do it with your own money minus the US paid security guards.

August 6, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Reply
  7. alpg49

OK. This may label me an insensitive jerk because the horse "is part of Ann Romney's therapy for MS". She has never ridden the horse. How much therapy can she get from *owning* something? Would the therapy be more effective if she owned the New York Yankees? The $77K is deducted as a business expense, not a health care expense. How much profit is Romney deriving from the Olympics? Does Romney's health care plan include dressage horses for all MS patients?

If "the horse" medals, it will backfire because the Romneys will be *buying^ olympic glory.

August 4, 2012 at 9:23 am | Reply
  8. Joey at Purdue Univ

"That ad, of course playing at a cable news station near you, brought to you by MoveOn.org: Ten years of making even people who agree with you cringe." (Jon Stewart, June 24th 2008)

August 2, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Reply