OutFront live Mon. – Fri. 7p ET

The captain of the sunken ferry in South Korea was formally charged and is in custody, state-run media reported early Saturday, citing prosecutors and police. Erin Burnett has more.
February 25th, 2013

Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer tells employees drop the remote and report to work

An internal memo obtained by All Things D reveals that Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer has put an end to working from home.

"To become the absolute best place to work, communication and collaboration will be important, so we need to be working side-by-side," the memo said. "That is why it is critical that we are all present in our offices."

Marissa Mayer: Yahoos can no longer work from home

All remote workers are expected to report to the office beginning June 1. Mayer took the helm of struggling Yahoo last summer after successful tenure at Google, where she was the company's first female engineer.

Mayer garnered much criticism in the first few weeks of her joining Yahoo when she returned to work two weeks after giving birth to her son.

Filed under: Business • E-Block • News
  1. Matt

Okay a few things:
    1) Google has virtually no one working from home. They are deep into the everyone there in an "open office" (i.e. everybody in a room together). It works for them but I need to be able to shut a door and have some quiet.

2) Everybody needs to calm down. This is not about Mayer needing to "increase innovation" or have "all hands on deck!!", it's about not paying severance packages.

3) Me personally it is context depended on whether I'll need to work from home. The context? Where I live in relation to work and the nature of the office environment. If the company is paying me sufficiently that I can live well and have a reasonable commute at a reasonable time (i.e. < 30 mins at 7:30AM) and I have an office with real walls and a functioning door, then I prefer going into MY office. If, however, it is an hour or more commute (common for Silicon Valley) into a cubicle jungle (or that "open office" nonsense–also common in the Valley), I'll be at home if you need me (getting more done than any two of the "chatty cathys"–male or female–at the cube farm).

March 3, 2013 at 10:51 pm | Reply
  2. DW

I think there's something wrong with her and perhaps she has a complex of some sort. Of course, SHE can have her baby next to her office so ..there you have it. I think they should make that little daycare into a HUGE daycare for ALL yahoo employees. I've worked from home for the past 10 years. I get more work done then being int he office listening to a bunch of ..well...MALARKEY..if you will. I would never work for a woman with a big head and little heart. NEVER. Go to convergys folks!

March 3, 2013 at 9:19 pm | Reply
  3. kgbdk

While this may be an extreme example, I was once visiting a friend who worked from home. When I arrived, he told me he was on a conference call, but had muted his microphone. He took a few big rips off a bong, worked on some music and then when it came time for his presentation, he snapped right into corporate mode. After he gave his report, he took another big rip and went back to working on music. While I admire his ability to give his company exactly what they need, I questioned whether letting people work from home maximized what the company was getting out of my friend/their employee.

March 3, 2013 at 3:27 pm | Reply
  4. geelo

The decision to force "telecommuters" back into the physical office is ethically wrong, period. A while back, in the U.S.A. and other countries, companies were a lot different.

Companies used to go out of there way to treat there employee right. I have talked to a lot of "older folks" about this. Companies would retain there employees by giving them monthly bonuses.. gifts, "a lot" of paid time off (not earned by default) ect. Of recent years, it's flipped all around. The company (as in any company) only cares about there own bottom line, they will do anything to save money even trying to make themselves look like "the good guy" in doing so. What Yahoo did to there "loyal employees" is a cheap shot.. taking away the privilege of working from home and not caring about the "personal consequences" of their employees by doing so. Sorry.. but you don't treat people that way... it's totally wrong.

March 3, 2013 at 1:50 pm | Reply
  5. Mark

Not only should employees be required to show up at work, but they should get there at 8 AM or earlier. Silicon Valley engineers typically show up at 10 AM and they don't stay late. One guy I work with shows up at 11 AM and says "Good morning".

March 3, 2013 at 11:41 am | Reply
  6. tribalengagement

sounds like marisa is getting desperate. sell your yahoo stock now before its totally worthless...thinking that making techies leave thier high(er) tech home workspaces to come in and sit facing her will solve yahoo's flagging performance has the stink of desperation.....i give marisa meyer 9 more months before she jumps ship herself...

March 2, 2013 at 10:52 pm | Reply
  7. Aaron

Telling employees that they must come to work is making waves? I must have missed something. I have to either come to work or take a personal day. Since when is coming to work optional? Maybe this is normal in the tech field, but still unusual in the economy overall.

March 2, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Reply
  8. Mandy from NY

This is bonkers. I worked from home for past 4 years and I was more productive than I worked from office. The most important thing for me is time with my family and if commuting to work takes out 3-4 hrs of my daily schedule and add 9-10 hrs. of work at office is not going to give me much time to spend quality time with my kid. If she really cares about working from office and then provide some benefit packages like free transport or increase quality of commute by providing transportation to work with Wi-Fi enabled buses and also consider commute time to work in the regular hours if she can provide that I don't have any issues working for Yahoo!. If all this sounds crazy then your idea of forcing employees to work from home is the same...

March 2, 2013 at 11:45 am | Reply
  9. Siestasis

This is an inexperienced new CEO trying to make her mark in the world. Sometimes when new CEO's (especially those this young) get power they let it go to their heads and don't think things thru. Having a resentful work force is not a good way to build a harmonious productive workforce. She has a lot to learn, and she evidently did not learn it at Google.

March 1, 2013 at 9:43 am | Reply
  10. averagejoe

I respect Ms. Meyer's right as CEO to make these types of decisions – right or wrong, smart or foolish, cutting edge or old school. In time, Yahoo's revenue and market share may rise or fall. It may have nothing to do with this decision. In either case, the Yahoo spin doctors will make sure that this decision will be heralded as the cause of all the good things that happen, whereas any negative outcomes will be unrelated. That is the way of life in big business.

Personally, I work from home and am very productive. Some people arent. The same goes for working from the office, some people are more productive there, while others are less productive in the office environment. Management and supervisors would be better off measuring and monitoring a workers productivity and spend less time caring about the location where the productivity occurs.

I am sure the same can be said for innovation. Innovation and new ideas can come from being together in the same room brainstorming. It can also come while alone in the car or in the shower. Again, management should build an environment where they nurture new and innovative ideas and be less concerned of where those new ideas originated.

March 1, 2013 at 6:47 am | Reply
  11. TM

Give me a break. People complaining about what this will do for child care of their young ones. Sorry but get a parent to watch, send them to inhouse day care or full daycare. Yes, I did it with 2. You can argue the value points of European maternity leave but it is just that leave. Not working from home as "part-time" employee and full time parent. These are choices. And one is go to Canada to have children so you get a year off. I like the weather down here better. So my choice.

I have worked from home and yes gotten more finished that many days at the office. Conversely, I have taken advantage of it to get errands run or work out with the justification that an hour of hard work in the evening makes up for 3 off in the afternoon. If you work 24/7 you are lying or an idiot.

Flex-time is probably the best with 1 or 2 days potentially working from home, sorry telecommuting, unless face-to-face meetings are required. Join the community called your employer. Interact on a personal, professional and spontaneous way with others. It is definitely sign of the times when employment is a MMORPG.

February 28, 2013 at 5:12 pm | Reply
  12. LG

If you're tending to babies while working at home, you're not giving 100% to work. Yahoo is struggling and this decision was made in the best interest of the company.

February 28, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Reply
  13. Anonynousone

Is it a right to work from home or a privilege? Is it a right for a CEO to make changes seen fit for better company productivity or a privilege? Also can we all agree that teamwork is the best method for any project? Teamwork really happens face to face, not email to email or phone call to phone call...

February 28, 2013 at 11:54 am | Reply
    • Joo

I'm being facetious here, but maybe she's an undercover agent for Google. She departs the #1, and then hires on at their rival, in order to destroy it from the inside out.

March 1, 2013 at 7:49 am | Reply
    • Mr Duckworth

This Chick obviously has something to prove, like look at me I'm a tough CEO. And she comes to work 2 weeks after giving birth to her baby???? To go where to an office ?? That's just stupid. Wow this obviously shows where her priorities are – hers is not a family friendly organization. Young people who want / care about a family, stay away, she's trying to impress the Board of Directors at your expense.

March 1, 2013 at 8:05 pm | Reply
    • Anonynousone

What is the big deal? Yahoo employees need to stop complaining. There is people out of work but here some are complaining that they have to go to work in a office. It could be worse. Plus, yahoo is suffering right now, so I think they should be focusing on getting back onto their feet. Sheesh. Some people just amaze me.

March 2, 2013 at 9:17 am | Reply
    • yaybaby

This is just another example of a young power-mad CEO trying to make a name for him/herself. I had a younger sister like this, and within a year or two she was fired. Her mother said getting fired was the best thing that ever happened to her. it made her think about others for a change. These are the type of women that give other woman a bad name. Inexperience and innocence can do alot of damage. She has no respect for anyone, but herself. People will work for people they trust and someone who treats them fairly. This woman obviously is neither. the only thing she did right was give them a few months to make other arrangements , but that probably wasn't her idea. If people are abusing the priviledge of telecomuting you should deal with it on a case-by case basis.

March 2, 2013 at 11:26 am | Reply
    • DW

Well I think it sounds like you need hands on with people..that doesn't mean it's what we 'telecommuters; need. Work is NOT to socialize..it's to work. I spent 12 years in the corporate world and I would never go back. I'm much more productive from home. Is your name Marissa? Just wondering

March 3, 2013 at 9:22 pm | Reply
    • Sam

When someone doesn't seem to care about your own child's well being, it is hard to expect same person to care about employees.

March 4, 2013 at 7:44 am | Reply
  14. Jennifer

I'm sure she wont' mind me rolling my pack n play into the cubicle. Not all of us can afford to hire someone to build a nursery in our buildning next to our office. I guess excellent child care and being able to spend time with your kids is only for the privileged and wealthy. What am I thinking-This is America, of course it is!

February 28, 2013 at 11:26 am | Reply
    • Dan Mask

Good for you feel that empowered, make certain you quit your job so you can spend as much time as needed toward your children. The CEO has every right to dictate how the company is run...if you don't like it QUIT!!!

February 28, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Reply
    • Siestasis

She shouldn't mind at all since she used company money to build a nursery next to her office for her child. Nice to be the CEO and not have the problems most working mothers have.

March 1, 2013 at 9:35 am | Reply
    • Amber

It's not her problem you have kids. Go to work or stay home. Yahoo or any business owner doesn't have to pay for your right to breed. I have two kids and am a business owner, and I made to sure to save enough money before I had kids. Don't make the rest of us that have kids look bad because you can't make good decisions.

March 1, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Reply
    • Richard

Jennifer, your employer certainly has the right to require your presence in the workplace, without your offspring! It is your responsibility to both find childcare and to meet the needs of your job. In my experience, children in the workplace are usually a huge distraction from the business. I too, was a single parent, but never in my wildest dreams would I have imposed my children on my fellow workers. You are not a victim.....

March 3, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Reply
  15. Gabe

This is just another CEO initiative that's the flavor of the month. Yahoo! is in trouble, and making waves creates headlines. So guess what tech company everyone is talking about this week? The sad thing – all this will do is drive away young, bright talent. Old-school thinking keeps old-school workers. With countless tech companies out there hiring the new blood, and allowing them to work from anywhere, Yahoo! is about to lose out on the up and coming talent pool. To be a top tech company, you have to be cutting edge. Sitting at a desk and staring at your co-workers for 9 hours a day is not anyone's idea of cutting edge. Mobile is the here and now... get on board, or get left behind.

February 28, 2013 at 11:15 am | Reply
  16. sr

The USA is going downhill in part because of the sliding work ethic quality.
    My statements are not blanket statements but general observations of which there are always exceptions.
    The work ethic quality started to slide in part when affirmative action was made into law. This means the most qualified person does not get the job.
    Have you ever gone to your local post office where the people move in slow motion and then dissapear into the back office at a snail's pace?
    This is happening at government workplaces across the USA because they know their jobs are protected and do not have to compete with improved productivity. Some do the very least they can do with slothful efficiency while taking the least path of resistance avoiding high performance, self motivation, strong work ethic, and personal innovation.
    There are a lot of people who could not be trusted working from home.....and unfortunately they ruin it for the rest of us.

February 28, 2013 at 11:06 am | Reply
    • James

It is never one issue. Affirmative action is not the cause of poor performance. Family upbring. Values you were instilled when young about the value of work and giving 100%. I am one of those government slouches you made a uniformed broad based comments. I put in 50 hours a week protecting your financial interests so you can sleep soundly. The general demise of work quality is that purveryors of Doctor Spock created 2 generations of Americans who only think of themselves. It's all about me.

March 1, 2013 at 12:52 am | Reply
  17. Dennis, Toronto Canada

I'm a business systems analyst and one hell of a developer. It may be true that I'm more productive in the office but it's also true that 4.5 days of work from a top-notch person in my field is worth much more to a company than 5 days by a mediocre one. If companies like Yahoo want to attract and retain the best talent they have to remain flexible. Her memo says to me that productivity is more important than being accommodating to employees. That's not the kind of environment that I would work in for any amount of money.

I don't think she understands what motivates the best talent: it's not money and it's not "company productivity". Make your office so awesome that people would rather be their than at home and reward performance and productivity and the telecommuting thing becomes a non-issue. Mayer's move may sound very retro-chic and bold but ultimately it just reveals a corporate mindset that people in technology are not interested in any more. I won't be working there any time soon.

February 28, 2013 at 7:36 am | Reply
    • RB

Dennis-
      It's Yahoo. Tech people line up to work for them, even today. They aren't going to miss you.

February 28, 2013 at 4:59 pm | Reply
    • Ryan

The most successful tech companies in the US require workers to be in the office. Microsoft, Google, Apple, etc. None of those use telework extensively. It obviously is working for them, and not working for Yahoo right now, so something has to change.

March 1, 2013 at 11:41 am | Reply
  18. RV

If all employees must come to an office, can Yahoo declare a policy not to contact employees after they leave office? No blackberry, no VPN, no emails or phone calls after office hours....?

February 28, 2013 at 7:24 am | Reply
    • Sara

Agree! If zero flexibility is given at work, them employees shouldnt be flexible with personal time. It's not fair to then expect employees to check emails all night or work weekends if the reverse flexibility can't be extended to employees.

February 28, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Reply
    • Howard

Mayer's decision is clearly intended to separate the wheat from the chaff ... to find out who wants to join in her effort to save Yahoo and who just doesn't give a d@mn if it means they're going to be inconvenienced.

March 2, 2013 at 4:53 am | Reply
  19. Alicia

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Ms. Mayer has help at home when it comes to the care of her son since she was able to leave him after 2 weeks. For us working moms who don't have that luxury I sometimes need to work from home when my son is sick and cannot be dropped off at daycare. I stay in contact with my team as much as if I were in the office not to mention the company I work for has offices around the country and in Europe so whether I am at my desk in the office or at home I still work and communicate efficiently. It's not the work at home policy that's the problem, its the people who have no work ethic and take advantage of the privilege.

February 27, 2013 at 12:02 pm | Reply
    • Bo

Alicia, you are certainly right on the mark. I don't for a minute believe that her action
      will have a positive effect on company morale, in the short or long run. Her company,
      any company, will not benefit from a reversion to past practices. And she also risks,
      as several have pointed out, chasing off talented people from joining Yahoo! Her
      fundamental insecurity of being in the corporate hot seat (which is understandable) is
      playing itself out here, and nothing else.

March 3, 2013 at 11:22 pm | Reply
  20. Bman

I think this is a smart policy to quickly cut the fat from the organization. After 6 months, I'd let surviving employees that are productive go to a 2 days at work, 3 days at home schedule. I am sure people can get more done when they aren't stuck in traffic, but I also agree that you need some face-to-face time with your coworkers.

More than this however, Yahoo! needs fresh ideas. Google makes 6 million products (exaggeration I know) and Yahoo! seems like a front-end for Bing. She needs to move out the old & tired, and move in some fresh, new, hungry blood.

February 27, 2013 at 11:43 am | Reply
  21. The Copy Room

I don't know a lot the culture at Yahoo, but what I do know is everyone reporting to a square air condition box to work everyday is a BAD IDEAL. I have worked from home for the past 9 years and I plan to do so for the rest of my life. I work 24 hours a day and seven days a week. I am more productive from 5am to 9am than my coworkers in the office all day. Find the right people for these positions and you don't have to worry about all the distractions of an office environment. Now I can focus on my work and not have any excuse for failure.

February 27, 2013 at 11:41 am | Reply
  22. Sue

I think if people are able to work side-by-side with their team or even one team member, then they absolutely should go to the office. But, in a global workforce, many teams are forced to communicate and collaborate solely over the computer and phone. Makes no sense for someone to go into an office where all they do is spend time on the phone or computer with their teammates in another city, state, or country. Also, I believe policies where working one day a week from home (or something similar) are nice. Helps to break things up a bit and allows a person to actulaly "get something done" so to speak. Overall, though, I think it's best for employer and employee alike if employees work together in an office environment.

February 27, 2013 at 10:10 am | Reply
  23. Marc

It seems everyone is failing to understand that most of the employees only work from home one or two days during the week which means they ARE in the office most of the time. If there are things that are so important, that the individual needs to be in the office for, why don't they just schedule it for the day when they're there? This isn't about productivity or working side by side on collaboration. Anyone who's ever had a desk job knows that being in the office does not mean your going to be productive. People sit around and do nothing, talk to coworkers, or surf the internet just as much if not more from their desks. My company doesn't allow working from home, but there are countless days when I get nothing done at the office. In fact, sometimes I have to come in on the weekend when no one is around just to get something done because of all the people, meeting, and other things there that distract me from doing my job.

In the end, this is just a defensive move to force people to find a different job instead of firing people. Thanks to this and many other horrible decisions by Yahoo, 10 years from now they'll be the "askjeeves" of the internet...

February 27, 2013 at 9:45 am | Reply
  24. Tom

I am more important then the company that I work for, if that is the thinking of the employes at Yahoo then no wonder they are in trouble. In todays businees you must do every single thing that can be done to make the company successful or you will be gone or at the least in trouble. Everyone at Yahoo must know that there are many, many people just waiting to take their jobs if going to the office is not for them

February 27, 2013 at 9:13 am | Reply
  25. Damon

From a purely economical standpoint, I think its a bad decision. By making this a hardline policy Yahoo now will have to shell out relocation expenses for the employees that want to stay and that is a lot of money. From a rebuilding standpoint it is a good decision. Regroup, refocus, and energize the workers you do have to the Yahoo brand, makes sense. Time will tell if she made the right decision or not. Yahoo will never compete with Google and will never be Google, so Marissa needs to focus on Yahoo being Yahoo and not Google Jr.

February 27, 2013 at 8:56 am | Reply
  26. Howard

People whose sole or overwhelming contact with their team members is via computer from home (or the nearby Starbucks) may oppose such a policy, but you have to wonder if they're more concerned about their personal convenience than they are about the company's success or failure. It's awfully hard to feel the tension of failure through a computer like you can when it permeates through human to human contact.

In the end, the question every work from home employee at every business has to ask themselves is, "Are you working for your employer, or is your employer working for you?"

February 27, 2013 at 5:05 am | Reply
  27. Eddie

I'm surprised how many people are defending themselves about how productive they are working from home. While that may be true in some cases, I doubt it is the case in the majority. I've seen first hand how employees have abused the privilege when given the chance. Rather than focusing on individual's needs, a CEO often has to manage from a company's needs. As a budding start-up CEO, I'm more impressed the more I find out about her leadership skills. Good for Marissa for being able to make the tough calls.

February 27, 2013 at 3:34 am | Reply
    • DW

Really?! That's just crazy talk. ...or writing. I've worked from home and have been MORE successful than in an office. Is telecommuting for all? No..like it would not be for you. Sounds like you may need some hand holding of some sort..be it gossip, water cooler, date, happy hours, etc. To me, work is work..Socializing is for after hours. She won't be there long. Let the countdown begin...

March 3, 2013 at 9:29 pm | Reply
  28. Martin

Perhaps Yahoo have a problem with productivity but I would suggest this will not solve the problem – unless of course they are attempting to drive out unproductive staff. Homeworking does work generally and this will undermine trust and her workers will be resentful. What she should be doing is looking at the reasons why her workforce is not productive. I do not buy into this thing that you have to be in the office and you have better ideas and interaction in the office. I find myself that I cannot concentrate of work due to the number of pointless meetings when I am in the office. It is constant and I am lucky if I have a few hours to do what I was employed for. Plus I get better ideas and work well when I have no interruptions. I think there is no yes or no answer regarding homeworking – it does not work well in some situations and depends on the type of work but others it does. You need to be grown up and intelligent about this which regrettably many bosses are not. I think Marissa is probably not doing this for the right reasons (her reason being if I can be in the office, everyone should) and that is the flaw with this plan.

February 27, 2013 at 1:33 am | Reply
  29. Kasia

I am all about powerful women. I am raising two of them, however I find it hard to trust one that goes back to work two weeks after giving birth, anything you will ever read will tell you not enough time to bond, and forcefully changes rules demanding people stop telecomuting right at the time children are out of school for summer. Whatever happened to family values, do we even care anymore? I think it is a horrible idea.

February 27, 2013 at 12:09 am | Reply
  30. Alex

This is the reason why, though I'm sorely tempted, I don't pursue what at my occupation is a pretty open telecommuting policy. If the corporate environment changes, and I'm telecommuting from a much less expensive but less developed area of the company, i'm suddenly left holding a mortgage with no place to go to apply my skills.

As a bay area resident, I bring a very unique perspective to this: homes here cost 750k on average, but since Schwarzenegger and a complicit state senate torpedoed overtime pay for I.T. far fewer people, especially young people, make enough to afford one. You have a choice: accept not owning a home, work remotely, or work for firms not based there (and in so doing strangle your opportunity for personal growth).

I'm not buying the idea that you can't be as productive or collaborative working from home, either.
    Given proper infrastructure for doing so:
    instant messaging
    telepresence (increasingly available and cheap)
    time tracking
    conference bridges
    It's perfectly possible to be just as effectively integrated at home as on premises, and arguably less expensive.

February 27, 2013 at 12:01 am | Reply
  31. Janine

I don't know ... I understand the reasoning behind it and the woman has balls to come in and throw everything into a tailspin like that. I'm sure many employees are abusing the system and something needs to change. However, lets say I am a yahoo employee (which I am not) and I worked from home, gave 110% effort to my job, did it well, maintained a household by taking my kids to school, picking them up, bringing them home to do homework, emotionally supporting them with everything from bullys at school to learning how to succeed in life, then why should I have to change the stability of my kids and their world just to be in an office where personalities collide on a daily basis and moral sucks (sorry for the run-on sentence ... just a little passionate about this topic)? My kids would have to stay at school for the after school program, get home late, have to rush through the night, eat dinner, hopefully able to get all homework done in a timely manner without meltdowns, take showers, and get to bed at a reasonable time. I would have to travel to work, use the gas that most of us can't afford, not be able to see my kids as often, and would probably have to work with some pretty messed up character defects.

This is the life that I live right now. I am a full-time working mother of two young kids, married to the military, and maintain what I hope to be a successful and balanced foundation for my children. I envy ANYONE who is able to work from home and remain successful with the job at hand. She has no clue what it is like to be a full-time working mother who is trying to balance a successful life for their kids. She has an infant who I'm sure has a nanny, who will eventually be referred to as "my other mommy".

I know Yahoo needs to be revamped, but screwing with the stability of the employees will only create bitterness in an already unhealthy environment.

She is very intelligent, but I think she lacks people skills.

February 26, 2013 at 10:26 pm | Reply
  32. yetanotheritguy

She is smart, bold and wrong. Predict policy will be rescinded within 6 months. It's called Management; WFH actually increases productivity if workers are held accountable. I work in IT, going on 21 years now - when I went remote 3 years ago I didn't think it would work either but quickly developed a new work rhythm and am much more productive than when I drive an hour into the office and back 5 days a week. I work all hours now, when you go in, and it gets to 5 and you grab your keys and leave, that's it. No way I am keeping a computer on at home and checking in after 8 hours in the office unless they page me with an emergency. It' 9PM now, I just put in 12 hours from home starting at 5 AM, took 2 hours to sleep and now I am about to back online at work to look at an unresolved issue. I hope Yahoo has plenty of parking and office space available that they can flip back on the market quickly they are going to need it. Remote is not about isolating yourself from humanity, it's about maximizing your productivity. It does take a level of maturity and discipline on the part of the employee to stay focused and productive; some people can't do that and for them it's probably better to force them into a cubicle every day so you can keep an eye on them. Or hire better workers.

February 26, 2013 at 10:15 pm | Reply
  33. Anne

My company is a global company supporting global clients. We team with people all over the world, and have a strong sense of community and teaming not only within our company, but with our global clients as well. This is a global economy, and an internet company should understand that. Working remotely is not longer just about "working from home", but having the communication skills to team with people of different cultural backgrounds across the globe on complex projects through email, confernce calls, and chat.

February 26, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Reply
  34. Richard

If my contract stipulates I telecommute then she can either renegotiate that or fire me if she has cause. Demanding a change and also demanding someone 'quit' if they don't like it is moronic. Now if there's no contract and/or nothing written that allows them to work from home...get your butts to the office, vacation's over.

February 26, 2013 at 9:40 pm | Reply
  35. Lindalou

People can be in the same room with you and never even look you in the eye anymore. Everyone is looking at their phone and more concerned with that conversation than the one going on in the same room. We've become a society of drones that can't interact with real people. People are becoming numb to human contact...very sad. Maybe she's onto something. Maybe true interaction with people will help them fix yahoo and make it a more human product.

February 26, 2013 at 7:59 pm | Reply
  36. Chris

I've been working from home for 7 years now and I've found no problems with communication or collaboration. In fact, just the opposite...I find that I don't have the constant "water cooler" distractions of gossip and time wasting jibber jabber.

February 26, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Reply
  37. Mary Cattapan

As a mother I would not want to work for her. She's a workaholic. Why wouldn't you let an employees performance dictate whether or not they can work from home? If I have sick kids, am I out of luck? I think it needs to be dependent on the productivity of the individual employee. She's why I don't work in corporate America...because I have to sell my soul and blow off my kids. NO thanks.

February 26, 2013 at 5:21 pm | Reply
  38. Jerry

Wow!!! Not only is she smart; she is also gorgeous!

February 26, 2013 at 4:19 pm | Reply
  39. SD

It's all about trust and she doesn't trust her staff. The company is under pressure to perform and she is grasping at straws right now.

February 26, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Reply
  40. Angie

There is decades and decades of studies on business and yet so many bosses prefer their seat of the pants opinions. I don't know why Marissa Mayer is now requiring the staff to only work at the office, or what the company culture of Yahoo is, but there are a lot of studies on working at home and most find it is more productive for the company. Staff may suffer from fewer promotions or fewer raises because so many in America still hold Victorian ideas of work - no worker does any work unless the boss is watching and even if the data shows more productivity, management is so invested in how much added value they bring to the workplace, those that work at home suffer cause if they are more productive without a boss watching over them, soon management may go the way of the dodo bird.
    Here's a recent study of an experiment at CTrip, a 16,000-employee, NASDAQ-listed travel agency in China. Call center employees who volunteered to work from home were randomly assigned to work from home or in the office for 9 months. Home working led to a 13 percent performance increase, of which about 9 percent was from working more minutes per shift (fewer breaks and sick-days) and 4 percent from more calls per minute (attributed to a quieter working environment). Home workers also reported improved work satisfaction and experienced less turnover, but their promotion rate conditional on performance fell.
    Every study I've seen in the last 10 years has had similar results.

February 26, 2013 at 8:00 am | Reply
  41. Sean

I am a work at home dad and I believe there are distraction at home as well as in the office. A person's productivity should be taken into account whether they are home or in the office and judged accordingly. Just because someone is in the office and sitting at there desks (for that matter) doesn't mean that they are being productive.

February 26, 2013 at 3:07 am | Reply
  42. Victor

II have worked from home for nearly 4 years. On the rare occasions when I travel to my companies office (it is over 150 miles away from my home) I find lots of people (me included) tend to spend their time chitchatting with each other and not doing actual work. There is an argument that I have seen many times that it is easier to walk over to someones desk and ask them a question or work on a problem. However, I couldn't disagree more. My employer uses Microsoft Lync which allows me to share my desktop with coworkers so we can work on problems together as if they are looking over my shoulder at my screen. Lync also has an Instant Message capability which allows you to IM questions to your co-workers with ease and best of all the decisions/answers given are recorded in case you need to look back at what was decided/discussed. Lync does have a very easy way to do a voice call. Just click the person and say call...actually Lync calls are preferred over traditional phone calls at my employer.

Prior to working from home full time I used to travel every week on business. Monday through Thursday I was physically in the office and the day that I would actually generate output (i.e. tangible artifacts) was on Friday when I worked from home. Monday through Thursday was just generally meetings and mostly interruptions.

February 26, 2013 at 2:02 am | Reply
  43. Anthony

Well this is a great way to trim some fat so to speak and in a creative environment like Yahoo I can definitely see a benefit. There are some jobs that are more in-tuned to be telecommutable. Take mine, for example; I am an IT/Telecom Project Manager. There is no part of my job that I can't do from home. However, I see working from home as a salary increase and not just a convenience. I'm saving at least $15.00 per day in meals and another $600.00 per month is gas. Add to that dry cleaning, professional clothing. Now I, personally, am more productive at home. True, I may get distracted at various points of the day for 20 or even 60 minutes at a time. What this discussion did not consider is all of the extra hours that you put in. I can work longer and more flexible hours thereby making me more productive. In fact it is approaching 1am. I finished a project report an hour ago and am using this time to wind down. Just my two cents.

February 26, 2013 at 1:58 am | Reply
  44. Jeff in Baltimore

Marissa is completely wrong with her no work at home policy. She should realize that in the corporate world employees are paid to occupy the building for 40 hours, not to work for 40 hours. She and her fellow management must figure out those that produce 60 hours worth of work in 40 hours vs those that produce 20 hours of work in 40 hours, instead of randomly getting rid of employees that are unable to occupy the building for 40 hours. Her cutbacks will be as random as the government sequester. Working at home is so much more efficient, no wasted time commuting, no idle chatter, etc.

February 26, 2013 at 12:18 am | Reply
  45. Rick Perkins

Working from home requires more discipline than most people can tolerate. The boss has the management authority to make the decision to pull the workers back in. There should be a measurement standard of productivity that is applied to the home worker that is at least as high as the standard for the in-office worker. Some benefits of home workers are that there are no "water cooler conversations", pointless meetings to attend, or long lunches.

February 26, 2013 at 12:17 am | Reply
  46. Candace

Completely agree with Yahoo Leader. Employees should be located where they can work in teams in order to brainstorm and find solutions together. Working from "home" should be reserved for special requests such as sick children, elder care, and special cases only, Everyone benefits from the workplace.

February 26, 2013 at 12:15 am | Reply
  47. Brian P.

My IT company located in the Bay Area did the same thing a few years back. Unfortunately, they failed to realize that most programming today is done off-shore in China and India requiring US tech workers to work outside of 9 to 5 PST hours using virtual meetings and bridge lines to communicate with each other. So there I was, commuting an hour to work to sit in a closed office on a conference call each evening collaborating face to face with the cleaning crew!

February 26, 2013 at 12:15 am | Reply
  48. larry

i agree with her completely! If they're already being productive at home, there shouldnt be a problem to continue at the office!

February 26, 2013 at 12:06 am | Reply
  49. JamesG

I don't know what is more sad, that a supposedly leading Internet company is refusing to use that technology to it's fullest, or that it's new CEO doesn't trust her employees to do so.

February 26, 2013 at 12:04 am | Reply
  50. Robert

Of course she is right. Need the team approach if YAHOO hopes to compete with the big boys like GOOGLE. Marissa is from GOOGLE and we should give her a change to get her new team in place and change the archaic and wanting business culture of YAHOO. i'M BETTING ON HER

February 25, 2013 at 9:11 pm | Reply
  51. sumehra11

Well, if not abused, both company and the employee could benefit from it. I have personally been able to complete all deadlines only because I was at home, and could log on again late at night as I don't have to worry abut the long commute next morning. I could certainly say that if WFH facility was not available, I would have definitely deferred some critical projects. It works well with me as my team is scattered and we communicate daily all day long.

However, there is disadvantages to it also as you may become out of sight out of mind easily. Personally, I find it monotonous to WFH. If not for health reason, I would look forward to go to the office daily. But for short period of time, if need arises, this could work for everyone.

Simply saying, employees are not productive when they WFH is not justifiable. With proper controls in place, and the project timelines are created properly, there is no reason, why an employee would not be productive.

February 25, 2013 at 8:44 pm | Reply
  52. Twentyseven Communications

For a high tech company they sure are thinking backwards. At my company, we use video conferencing, IM, etc. and we have no problems collaborating. Our sales people are where the customers are and the whole company is productive. The work-life balance that working at home provides makes our employees loyal and we end up getting more work done in less time. If you hire the right people and have the right culture, the location of employees does not matter. The technology is there to be productive regardless of physical location, albeit, the technology is Google. I hope this move does not further drive innovation outside of Yahoo!

February 25, 2013 at 8:21 pm | Reply
  53. Pat Dancison

i work for the state of arizona there is about 400 employees working from home. we have the stats showing we are more productive working from home wee use less sick time. it's a shame people think you need to bechained to the office desk to be productive

February 25, 2013 at 8:16 pm | Reply
  54. Ralph

US workers already spend more time at work with less vacation than other developed nations. The actual increase to productivity is questionable at best. You have working professionals who put in 60 or 80 hour weeks while uneducated and even unskilled union workers take home better pay with more time off and fewer hours. We pay teachers at the same or better hourly rate than we pay engineers, and then complain about the lack of engineers high-tech workers.

Seems like they could benefit from smart productive workers and low overhead but instead would rather recruit the usual unhappy work force more skilled at looking busy than doing their work, wasting time and money commuting to work, and competing to see who can sit in their cubicle for the greatest percentage of their lives.

February 25, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Reply
  55. A_Riv

I work from home and live close to the office. If I go to the office daily, I still will not see my immediate team members. My manager lives in Colorado, and the rest of the team is in Texas, Georgia, New York, Florida, France, India. We all work remotely and most travel for business half the time. We have a weekly team call and schedule calls as needed for collaboration. The team has a global presence and we are effective and very productive. The whole team meets in person a few times a year but it is not essential to our success. Individual production is not a nice to have, it is expected as part of our employment. Working from the office does not equate to higher production nor more efficient collaboration. If managers are not able to hold their respective teams and subordinates accountable then the manager and individual contributor are not performing as Yahoo would like and this should be addressed. I believe that Yahoo has other motivation in making this move.

February 25, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Reply
  56. Jim Minet

Absurd. Mayer is discounting the realities of todays work evnironment and the gains that can be made through a more flexible, worker-centric, policy. That is why Google is #1.

February 25, 2013 at 8:09 pm | Reply
    • DW

Google is #1. I'm cancelling my yahoo account. I'm sticking with Google/Gmail. ..Yahoo is old news..and Marissa will be too ..soon enough she'll be wishing she had a work from home position.

March 3, 2013 at 9:30 pm | Reply
  57. Joey at Purdue Univ

Well, I'm not sure what the corporate culture at Yahoo! is like. I know Jim Gilliam of "The Internet Is My Religion" fame tweeted that: "yahoo ending work-from-home is about @marissamayer needing to heal a toxic culture. her only fighting chance is if people can see each other" so not being in Silicon Valley, I can't really say...

But from my own POV, working for a company which has a BYOD policy, SAAS applications & where half the employees are traveling most of the year, I don't know how anything would get done if we couldn't work remotely. Heck, I get a lot done in that half hour it'd take me to drive to the office.

February 25, 2013 at 8:06 pm | Reply
  58. Tony

One more thing. Many companies don't even look at working from home as a perk . Some actually work this into their business model not only because of real estate costs but also to increase productivity. In an age where most of the work is done online and on conference calls this is actually counterproductive.

February 28, 2013 at 2:04 pm | Reply