August 6th, 2013

Victim of racist taunts has message for culprits

A black student at the University of North Carolina Wilmington says he was threatened by several white students who yelled racial slurs at him.

But instead of getting mad, Brent Campbell decided to do something very different.

David Mattingly has the story.

Filed under: News
  1. scott312

I had a car load of black thugs at a red light calling me white boy a few years ago.
    I didn't call the police. I smiled and waved.
    That's pretty dumb to call the police.

Seriously

October 31, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Reply
  2. hgarul

It just truly saddens me that this type of stuff still happens. I've lived in NC all my (relatively short) life and feel very welcome and at home as an Asian American, then this sort of stuff happens and it reminds me that this could and does happen any/everywhere. I think he handled this very gracefully and admire him for it, but at the same time, I can't help but feel anger and disbelief on his behalf.

August 11, 2013 at 9:33 pm | Reply
  3. JT

I am an alumni from UNCW and this story is suprising. I am proud to have Brent as a fellow seahawk.

August 9, 2013 at 9:55 am | Reply
  4. Lisa s

This isn't a uncw problem nor is it a North Carolina problem. This is a parenting problem. If these boys were raised correctly, this would not have happened. And no, we aren't backwards in North Carolina. We're like everyone else, we have our fair share of idiots.

August 8, 2013 at 8:59 pm | Reply
  5. Sam

Is CNN trying to portray people from NC as racist bigots because republicans are winning in NC?

August 8, 2013 at 6:25 pm | Reply
  6. Joe UNCW Grad

The city of Wilmington has a long history of racism that has been ignored. It is home to the biggest massacre in the history of the United States, the "Wilmington Insurrection of 1898" for those who would like to search it.

In addition to the dark history, UNCW claims to promote diversity. It hosts the lowest percentage of minority students among the 17 North Carolina public universities.

As I type this up, I am down the street from where this racist incident occurred. I think that the only cure for this city's problem is acknowledgement, discussion and policy changes that truly foster diversity and not just proclaim it.

August 7, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Reply
    • Joe UNCW Grad

Down the road from where this racist incident occurred, there is a public park named after one of the co-conspirators of the Wilmington race riot of 1898. I wish I were kidding.

August 7, 2013 at 7:55 pm | Reply
      • Sam

Yeah, dedicating an entire park to Hugh McCrae, the guy who was lynching folks on the lamp posts of Market St. really speaks volumes about the reality of Wilmington. It is a liberal city (relatively speaking), but only liberal enough for most of the racist undertones to be just below the surface, not gone for good.

August 16, 2013 at 7:19 am | Reply
  7. Mary Howard

Just to note in the video, Campbell is not sure if the white men were students. In your article it states: "A black student at the University of North Carolina Wilmington says he was threatened by several white STUDENTS who yelled racial slurs at him." This could be misinterpreted and unless it is certain that they are UNCW students, perhaps there should be a change in words.

August 7, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Reply
  8. Dennis Modica

I live in So-Cal, sure there are Raciest here too! Our State is a lot more Chill when it comes to type of situation! I have never seen this ever happen here! I am White and proud of! I don`t see Color or Race! I see how I`m treated and then respond in kind! Is it the fact that North Carolina is Raciest, and backwards? This Black Student is the type on person (not Black, a Person!) I would enjoy meeting and talking to! He`s very Articulate, friendly and has a good Heart! I would welcome him as a friend! If I were in the area, and those White boys got out of the truck to harm him I would run over and jump on the underdog side, in this case the Black Student! To the White Boys. Don`t you see how Ignorant this makes you look? How Boring this world would be if we all looked the same? I like the diversity of other cultures. Now what comes to mind here to me is "White Trash! "I`m The One Who Has To Die When It`s Time For Me To Die So Let Me Live My Life The Way I Want To" Jimi Hendrix.

August 7, 2013 at 1:51 pm | Reply
  9. Joey at Purdue Univ

"Maybe tomorrow, we'll all wear 42, so nobody could tell us apart." (Gene Hermanski & Pee Wee Reese, Brooklyn Dodgers)

August 7, 2013 at 12:23 am | Reply
  10. Donna Hurley

Thank you for this very important news report. This young man is a true Disciple of Peace... I pray that he will continue on the path of Peace and inspire all that come to know him and his story...

August 6, 2013 at 10:41 pm | Reply
  11. Ruth Kash

Such an inspiring story. Where can we read a full copy of the letter written by Brent Campbell? Will there be a follow up to see if these students were caught and what the school has done to find them? Or will it be treated like so many racial problems like out of sight out of mind. IS UNCW just waiting for us to go away?

August 6, 2013 at 9:57 pm | Reply