OutFront live Mon. – Fri. 7p ET

Four others were wounded, including three critically, at a school north of Seattle, two federal law enforcement sources said. Erin Burnett has the latest.
August 24th, 2013

Five casting decisions fans hated

An explosion of criticism has accompanied news that Ben Affleck will play Batman in an upcoming "Superman" sequel. The casting of the "Argo" star and director is not the first time fans have cried foul over such a decision. Here's a list of other casting decisions that sparked some scorn in the fan world:

5. Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher

Tom Cruise in "Mission Impossible" as Ethan Hunt? Sure. Tom Cruise as ex-military investigator Jack Reacher? Well, Reacher fans said NOOOOO! A Facebook page was created to voice their outrage over the 2012 movie. Many fans of the Lee Child books cited the height difference, insisting that Cruise was too short to play the role. In the books, Reacher is 6-foot-5 while Cruise comes in at 5-foot-6 in real life.

4. Daniel Craig as James Bond

The announcement of Daniel Craig as the newest James Bond in 2006's "Casino Royale" gave birth to anti-Craig websites such as Craignotbond.com and danielcraigisnotbond.com. British actor Edward Fox knew author Ian Fleming, creator of the James Bond character, and blasted casting directors for their choice. "So ugly! He is utterly wrong for Bond. The opposite of what Fleming intended," Fox said.

3. Anne Hathaway as Catwoman

Two years ago, fans were up in arms over the casting of Anne Hathaway in 2012's "The Dark Knight Rises," saying she couldn't pull off the role of Catwoman. In a Catwoman forum, one fan wrote, "I just can't get the image of her in Princess Diaries out of my head."

2. Michael Keaton as Batman

When director Tim Burton announced to the world that Michael Keaton would star as Batman in his 1989 film, the reaction was not warm. Fans were so cold to the news that they sent more than 50,000 letters to Warner Bros. protesting the decision.

1. Heath Ledger as the Joker

Many people were confused when it was announced that Heath Ledger was cast as the Joker in Christopher Nolan's "The Dark Knight," which was released in 2008.

One critic said, "I like Ledger, but I'm not sure if he can pull off the sinister Joker."

Avid fans will always have a reason for slamming a casting choice. In all movies, actors have the ability to either live up or live down fans' expectations.

Should we give actors such as Ben Affleck the benefit of the doubt? Well, that's up to the moviegoer to decide - after the movie is released.

Follow Leinz Vales on Twitter: @LeinzCNN.

Posted by
Filed under: Entertainment • News • OutFront Extra
  1. Cinghiale

Daniel Craig is just a giant ogre. He's a brut. You might as well just put Bane from Batman in a 3 piece mohair suit, he'd probably have been cooler and more sleek looking. The quintessential Movie/hollywood Bond is PIerce Brosnan and Sean Connery. They were stylish, didn't look they were on steroids, and used their brains or charm to get out of difficult situations. Craig as bond, in a tux just looks way out of place. How could he pass as a lucrative entrepreneur or rich play boy. Don't get me wrong he's a talented actor, but just lose some of that damn mass if you are going to play Bond. Its not even his fault. More like the director and producers. As for Ben Affleck playing Batman, my initial reaction was quite similar to a vomit inducing insult or watching Ladyboy Miley "hannah Montana' Cirus' dance moves. After some time and realizing that Affleck is playing more of a supportive role to Superman in this justice league movie, maybe its not so bad. Batman and all super heros are fake so possibly Affleck will play a great cartooney action hero. Ever since Batman Begins was made like a believable character, it makes sense to go back to a comic book-like character.

August 27, 2013 at 8:05 pm | Reply
  2. kencon28

Ben Affleck as Batman??? How in the world are they going to hide ALL of that chin?

August 27, 2013 at 4:55 pm | Reply
  3. Ann Myers

Colin Firth should have been James Bond. And NO ONE except Colin Firth should ever play Mr. Darcy.

August 27, 2013 at 4:01 pm | Reply
  4. Bulldog

Top 5 Batman actors:
    1) Michael Keaton
    2) Christian Bale
    3) Adam West
    4) My kid brother on Halloween
    5) The voice actor for Batman in cartoons

August 26, 2013 at 9:28 pm | Reply
  5. Hiruu

Jack Reacher...really?!?!? The books are a niche...as for the others...bunk for most! There was grumbling, but nothing like we are seeing for this decision, and by the way...Craig is a good bond, and Ledger did a great job as Joker...but the rest...hmmm. I like Jack Reacher, but I knew almost nothing about the books, and from what I reach afterwards, the two character are ABSOLUTLEY nothing alike.

August 26, 2013 at 8:24 pm | Reply
  6. heather c

5) i think Tom cruise did a DECENT job as reacer but wasn't the best.
    4) Daniel is probably ONE of my favorites for Bond.
    3) Anne should have had a better part in the Dark knight. I was very disappointed. She's a brilliant actress.
    2) I could never physically watch a whole batman movie with keaton in it, it just wasn't good to me.
    1) Heath Ledger blew the joker away! Amazing acting and talent!

Now for ben afflect no thanks. any movie i watch with him is just terrible in my opinion. I just don't like his acting. I will watch it (for the sake of my husband who loves ben afflect lol) but I'm pretty sure he is nothing compared to bale.

August 26, 2013 at 7:38 pm | Reply
  7. CaMeO

People protested Heath? I remember people being confused over the decision, but no outrage. I think placing him as #1 is an attempt to make people believe that Affleck will make a phenomenal Batman

August 26, 2013 at 6:40 pm | Reply
  8. Eddie

Bronson was a worst Bond than Craig, but not by much.

August 26, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Reply
    • Cinghiale

I'm sorry who is Bronson? Maybe you are thinking of Pierce Brosnan? He's a classic bond character. Cool calm collective and banging a lot of hot chicks. The quintessential Movie/hollywood Bond. If you recall Sean Connery also was cool, stylish, as was Roger Moore. Daniel Craig is just a giant ogre. He's a brut. You might as well just put Bane from Batman in a 3 piece mohair suit, he'd probably have been cooler.

August 27, 2013 at 7:45 pm | Reply
  9. Kojo Ferguson

I won't be surprised if Afleck turns out to be a really good Batman. He's really a pretty great actor.

August 26, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Reply
  10. Wes

Gotta love America. Young people would rather have the ability to vote for actors in movies than the president

August 26, 2013 at 6:12 pm | Reply
  11. Michaela

I believe that the studio has the right to decide who plays what role in their movies and we have the choice to see them or not see them or whatever.

Personally, I saw Daniel Craig in that first James Bond movie and have never seen another. A big part of the attraction to those movies was JB's personality, his playfulness, his bantering, his smile.

That's gone with Daniel Craig and to me James Bond has died with him – too bad.

August 26, 2013 at 6:08 pm | Reply
  12. BC

How about the kid that played the child Anakin Skywalker? Worst acting ever (at least for a Star Wars movie). You know there had to be thousands of kids that auditioned for that one – and that is the best you could get? Was it Lucas' nephew or something? And I thought Hayden Christenson was mediocre as the teen Anakin.

August 26, 2013 at 1:34 pm | Reply
    • Buck

I agree however both of those actors were not well known at the time of their selection for those Star Wars roles. Because of that, it really wasn't a situation where you had a large group of opposition like we do with Affleck playing Batman.

August 26, 2013 at 3:31 pm | Reply
    • Kojo Ferguson

I think Lucas was in love with the kid's haircut.

August 26, 2013 at 6:15 pm | Reply
  13. Polar Bear

I was okay with all of them except for Keaton. However, my wife read the books and said Cruise was "all wrong" for the part. I didn't. See, ignorance is bliss after all.

August 26, 2013 at 1:29 pm | Reply
    • blvicente

Agreed. I didn't read the book, but I thought Cruise was great in the movie.

August 26, 2013 at 6:20 pm | Reply
  14. Polar Bear

I'd rather see Sheldon Cooper as Batman than Affleck! "I'm Batman.........!"

August 26, 2013 at 1:25 pm | Reply
  15. DB

Here are my thoughts on these five:

5. Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher
    Honestly I couldn't care less, I never saw the movie and know nothing about the source material so I really don't care.

4. Daniel Craig as James Bond
    I certainly had my doubts when EON made the announcement. I'm a huge fan of the Bond film franchise and I've read several of the novels, I wasn't sure if he was the right choice but I was willing to wait and see...every actor that's played Bond has been very different and brought different characteristics to the part, and I like them all. Well, I think Craig turned out to be the BEST BOND EVER. Yes, even better than Connery. That might not be Connery's fault, in the 60s it simply wasn't possible to play the part as the ruthless, cold assassin that Craig made it into. But man...he's GOOD.

3. Anne Hathaway as Catwoman
    Honestly, does it even matter? The character is totally underdeveloped and essentially just wasted in this movie. I mean, is she even Catwoman at all? Not really, she's just a cat burglar. It hardly matters who plays the part, and I guess Anne Hathaway is as good as any other choice.

2. Michael Keaton as Batman
    I was 12 years old when this movie came out. I remember the controversy when Burton made the announcement. In fact, I remember the controversy when it was revealed that Burton was making the movie. To this day I still think Keaton is the best Batman ever. I love his "dark and brooding" Batman.

1. Heath Ledger as the Joker
    Heath Ledger plays the part very well. My only complaint is with the character itself. I'm not a big fan of this version of the Joker. I prefer the Jack Nicholson version, the "he used to be a mobster until he went crazy" Joker as opposed to the "he's just a complete lunatic who wants nothing more than to create chaos" Joker that Ledger plays. Both are just as correct, bother versions of the character have been firmly established in the source material long before these movies were made so I think both are legit. I just like Nicholson's version better. But both played the part they were asked to play excellently, so I think Ledger was a good choice for the movie Nolan made.

August 26, 2013 at 1:13 pm | Reply
    • Kojo Ferguson

Well said. I agree word for word.

August 26, 2013 at 6:13 pm | Reply
    • Kit

And let me guess, you think that Tim Burton's Catwoman from Batman Returns is the real interpretation of the character, right? Pick up a comic book. Catwoman IS a Cat Burglar, genius! She never had super powers. She's just an agile burglar with feline prowess and fighting skills.

August 26, 2013 at 7:04 pm | Reply
  16. Jack33

Keaton was the worst Batman ever (and Nicholson pretty weak as the Joker). That said, Aflek will likely stink equally, if not even more so.

August 26, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Reply
    • Buck

By saying Keaton was the worst, you are essentially saying that Kilmer and Clooney were BETTER Batmans. Your opinion on this topic is hereby rendered invalid.

August 26, 2013 at 3:24 pm | Reply
      • Esaul

Clooney was my favorite Batman. I don't have a least favorite Batman either.

August 26, 2013 at 6:57 pm | Reply
    • Brian

Worst Batman ever? Are you including the old TV Show Batmen? If so, you are an invalid and need to be heavily medicated.

August 26, 2013 at 6:06 pm | Reply
  17. Chicago

I think Craig has made a great Bond – so for me that was cast very well. But Cruise as Reacher is a total joke.

August 26, 2013 at 12:45 pm | Reply
  18. Penny

I actually like Daniel Craig as James Bond. And I do think he is good looking just not in the pretty boy conventional sense like Pierce Brosnan.

August 26, 2013 at 12:42 pm | Reply
  19. mercfan

I would prefer to wait and see how Ben does the role first before criticizing him over it. People say he ruined the Phantom, but how much of that was due to the bad script?

I think just the fact that Nolan has bowed out, there is going to be a let-down anyway. So Ben may be in a no win situation here, which might be a good enough reason for him NOT to take the part.

I don't think it's fair to compare the Nolan trilogy of Batman movies to the Burton series. The Nicholson’s Joker is a completely different character than Ledger’s. The Burton series was more cartoonish – closer to the TV series – but that was his intent. The Nolan series was a lot darker and more dramatic, which I happen to prefer but that doesn't make the Burton series bad movies.

August 26, 2013 at 12:31 pm | Reply
    • mercfan

I said Phantom, I meant DareDevil.

August 26, 2013 at 12:34 pm | Reply
    • Jennifer Twardowski

I agree with you 100%. There's a lot of other factors that come into play - it's not just the casting.

As far as the people mentioned above, I thought that Ledger was a great Joker for the character portrayal that he was meant to portray. The same goes for Keaton. Hathaway did what she could for what she was given (I wasn't too impressed with that movie overall). The other two, I haven't actually seen the full movies, just glimpses so I don't feel it'd be fair for me to give my opinion.

August 27, 2013 at 1:18 am | Reply
  20. overlord

i wasnt happy when affleck was cast as jack ryan either.

August 26, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Reply
  21. Reaction

This isn't "just another bad casting decision...blah blah", Ben Affleck is different. He has never been the star of a good movie, unlike the actors profiled here, have been in good movies and starred in them. I'm sorry, but this will not be another Heath Ledger, Michael Keaton situation etc...

What memorable roles has Ben Affleck been in? Nothing.

August 26, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Reply
    • svenmal

himself in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back :D

August 26, 2013 at 6:16 pm | Reply
    • Patrick

Reaction

I think many people, including those who vote for the oscars would disagree. "Argo" was an excellent film.

August 26, 2013 at 6:17 pm | Reply
    • Marcus

Chasing Amy? Argo?

August 26, 2013 at 8:06 pm | Reply
    • Seth Crosland

Argo, The Town, Hollwoodland...

August 26, 2013 at 8:38 pm | Reply
    • Charlie B

Are you stupid? Good Will Hunting, Argo, The Town?

August 26, 2013 at 11:22 pm | Reply
  22. Pliny

Who cares what net-geeks and fanboys think.

August 26, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Reply
  23. JJ Underwood

I love the movie Sahara, but come on... anyone who reads Cussler knows that Matt McConaughey is no Dirk Pitt!

August 26, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Reply
  24. Aaron D.

1. Heath Ledger was the best Joker of all.
    2. Jack Reacher was right up Tom Cruise's alley.
    3. Daniel Craig was BORN to play Bond.
    4. Stop freaking out about Ben Affleck playing Batman in the 'Superman' sequel. It's a different story line than the 'Batman' movies that Christine Bale play in. Completely different.

August 26, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Reply
  25. Spendlove

Michael Keaton was the best Batman of all!

August 26, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Reply
    • Joe

Agreed 100%! Every time I think Batman, I think of Keaton saying "I'm Batman".

August 26, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Reply
    • Alejandro

I dont like my batmans looking like I can beat them up. Give me a believable Bruce Wayne with a gravelly Bat voiced Christian Bale any day. Hes the only batman I really would not like to find in a dark scary alley. Everyone else Adam West, Val Kilmer, George Cloney, Mike Keaton Id laugh at.

August 26, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Reply
    • KTOTHEJ

He sure was! I loved his cool demeanor!!

August 26, 2013 at 12:29 pm | Reply
    • grafikit

Totally disagree. Bale by a long shot. (just opinions BTW)

August 26, 2013 at 12:39 pm | Reply
    • cushing1961

I agree, loved Michael as Batman.. he was the best!

August 26, 2013 at 12:49 pm | Reply
    • cushing1961

I wonder where they got those poll results. I agree, Michael was the BEST Batman of all!

August 26, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Reply
    • Maria

I agree with you 100%!! I love Michael Keaton and he WAS the best Batman!

August 26, 2013 at 1:08 pm | Reply
    • Polar Bear

No, no, no! The only action hero Keaton should play is "Accountant Man."

August 26, 2013 at 1:27 pm | Reply
  26. Ken in MD

Bad casting? How about Johnny Depp as Tonto?

August 26, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Reply
    • Penny

Totally agree!!!! He was BAD

August 26, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Reply
    • cushing1961

I thought he was hilarious as Tonto.. but wished they would have sped his lines up a little at times. He was not the traditional Tonto, that was for sure, but he had some subtly funny lines and facial expressions. I had heard the movie was bad but it wasn't at all!

August 26, 2013 at 12:56 pm | Reply
    • Polar Bear

Ah, yes. Right you are, kimosabe.

August 26, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Reply
  27. knewagirl

Does anyone remember when Kurt Russell was cast to play Elvis? He did quite well even though the casting of the Disney star seemed missplaced.

August 26, 2013 at 12:05 pm | Reply
  28. Mark

Think we might all be taking this a bit too seriously. I read all the Bond books and, whilst Craig is clearly not what Fleming had in mind, he does a superb job as the character. I have also read all of the Reacher novels and was disappointed to see Cruise cast in the role. However, much to my chagrin, he did a fine job: the film was very watchable and he delivered the part. Heath Ledger as the Joker was inspired casting yet Christian Bale, a great actor, was bland in the role, delivering just enough and no more.
    In the end the film will stand or fall on the direction and the script: the actors are charged with bringing the characters to life and even the best actors get it wrong. Afleck has got the part: let's hope he delivers the Town and not Gigle!

August 26, 2013 at 11:58 am | Reply
  29. Birdyboyz

I remember back in '89 when "Batman" came out with Michael Keaton .When his named appeared on the screen the people in the theater started to boo.

August 26, 2013 at 11:41 am | Reply
    • cushing1961

yet they went to see him? I think it was isolated. Michael rocked as Batman!

August 26, 2013 at 12:53 pm | Reply
  30. kimmie123

all I want to say is this, I want to see Michael Keaton as BATMAN again, and Tom Cruises as a Vampire him and Brad Pitt should have both won an Oscar for that role Hollywood had looked them over for the Oscar so many times IN WHICH THEY BOTH DESERVE, and Tom can play any role he puts his mind to (STOP HATTING)....

August 26, 2013 at 11:36 am | Reply
  31. Pockets

I will not spend a dime on the movie, it ain't gonna cut it at all. Very poor choice.

August 26, 2013 at 11:22 am | Reply
  32. Ram Riva

Heat ledger the best Joker villain of all time.....he played his evil character like no one will ever will....not even Jack Nicholson and that my friends is an amazing accomplishment...

August 26, 2013 at 11:12 am | Reply
    • Ollie Tinsley

Sorry, jack played that much better...

August 26, 2013 at 12:44 pm | Reply
  33. Robert

The problem with Ben Affleck isn't that he's just a bad choice for that particular role, he's just a bad actor PERIOD. Not only should he not be Batman but he should be blacklisted from Hollywood. That dude should be somewhere flipping burgers. I've seen better actors in a local high school drama.

August 26, 2013 at 11:12 am | Reply
    • Buck

First, I can agree that I am doubtful that he's a good fit for Batman. However, in the right role, he's actually a superb actor. Argo and The Town were both great examples of that fact. Seems to me that you're speaking more out of jealously or are just feeding off the popular internet trend of bashing Ben Affleck.

August 26, 2013 at 1:05 pm | Reply
  34. Diogenese

Polls say Keaton is the second most favored Batman.. I hated the idea of Ledger playing Joker until I saw him do it. He is simply the best @ it!!!

August 26, 2013 at 11:03 am | Reply
    • JtC

Heath Ledger was absolutely extraordinary as The Joker. It surprised me.....I knew he was a talented actor. Just didn't realize the extent of versatility he had. His performance outshined even the Batman. I can't even remember who played Batman.

August 26, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Reply
  35. John

Now if we could get Matt Damon to play Robin....

August 26, 2013 at 10:48 am | Reply
  36. Dean

If you have ever read a Jack Reacher novel then you know how Tom Cruise was the worst possible choice. Reacher is a foot taller, 60 pounds heavier and has a face that has seen better days. Cruise will make the character seem like a sissy.

August 26, 2013 at 10:43 am | Reply
    • mikeyD74

they needed the guy that played the hound in GoT... perfect fit

August 26, 2013 at 11:33 am | Reply
    • KittyHawker

Did anyone notice in "Jack Reacher" that the opening credits listed "Cruise Productions" or some such? I wonder if "Tom" offered funds to Lee to make the movie, and only if he played the lead.

August 26, 2013 at 11:49 am | Reply
    • Jaime

I saw it, or at least most of it before I got too bored. He tried to play it kind of like aloof bada$$. Really he just stood there reciting his lines. And what I assume was supposed to be romantic tension between him and the leading lady was just confusing and awkward. Hence assuming that it was supposed to be romantic tension.

August 26, 2013 at 12:14 pm | Reply
  37. Mike

Hmmm, based on the above, sounds like we just need to recast Tom Cruise as Wolverine, and Hugh Jackman or Ben Affleck as Jack Reacher, and we're set!

August 26, 2013 at 10:42 am | Reply
    • Yusuf

I think that has more to do with the success of the Bourne films. When I watched Casino Royal it felt like a bourne movie at times.

August 26, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Reply
  38. Seyedibar

I'm still in agreement that Daniel Craig makes the worst Bond ever. Now that series is just bland action formula, with none of the bits that made the series famous.

August 26, 2013 at 10:41 am | Reply
  39. kingswoodroad

Tom Cruise as the Vampire Lestat was much more hated and controversial than Reacher by the fans. After Anne Rice (the author) denounced the decision publicly, her publicist convinced her to do some damage control by taking out a full page ad in the NY Times and do an about face on the issue.

August 26, 2013 at 10:23 am | Reply
    • Third Eagle of the Apocalypse.

I like Tom Cruise as an actor but he was a terrible Lestat. Stewart Townsend did a much better job portraying the character even though tQotD movie wasn’t as good. I’d site lower production values and a mutilated storyline for that however.

August 26, 2013 at 11:36 am | Reply
  40. Sniffity

Some of them turned out great. I liked Keaton's Batman hehe and Ledger blew the Joker out of the park...best ever Joker, hands down. And Craig has turned out to be a great 007.

August 26, 2013 at 10:21 am | Reply
  41. Jokersmoker

My first tip Ben,SHAVE !

August 26, 2013 at 10:19 am | Reply
  42. Prescotti

When the news of Tom Cruise Playing Jack Reacher came out I was in outrage. I loves those books and thought he would ruin it. I watched the movie and thought (height challenged outstanding) he did a good job in that role. I changed my mind.

August 26, 2013 at 10:13 am | Reply
  43. Bob Ciesla

How about Adam Sandler in Longest Yard?

August 26, 2013 at 10:03 am | Reply
    • Pander Bear

How about Adam Sandler in anything?

August 26, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Reply
  44. SuperDave

Craig as Bond is brilliant. Times change. We had decades of the tuxedo clad Bond trying not to spill his martini. The change is good. And, Ledger was AWESOME!

August 26, 2013 at 9:58 am | Reply
    • Scott

Yes this Bond is more realistic. A real James Bond wouldn't care about looking like a male model he would be more like a Jason Bourne. A rugged super soldier in a tux that could handle anything or anyone you threw at him.

August 26, 2013 at 11:27 am | Reply
      • GnatB

But James Bond *isn't* real.

Craig makes a great action hero spy. Just not a great James Bond. If you get what I'm saying. That said, I expect todays audiance prefers a great action hero spy to a great James Bond.

August 26, 2013 at 1:15 pm | Reply
  45. Moviebuff

This guy is no actor he is a wannabee who got lucked out because of Matt Damon..

August 26, 2013 at 9:54 am | Reply
    • mike

Oh please...you're just spewing stuff you heard someone else say. Affleck has turned out to be an amazing director.

August 26, 2013 at 11:21 am | Reply
      • Third Eagle of the Apocalypse.

Actually..he turned out to be completely inconsistent. He has done a couple good roles and a lot of stinkers.

August 26, 2013 at 11:38 am | Reply
  46. jonp

After all of the terrible Batman movies that have been made, I am pretty sure most people agree that Michael Keaton was the best Batman. Tim Burton's Batman flicks are the only ones worth watching.

August 26, 2013 at 9:53 am | Reply
    • mcseufer

I thoroughly enjoyed Keaton's Batman performance. Additionally, I thought he played a great role as Bruce Wayne.

August 26, 2013 at 10:42 am | Reply
    • darknesscrown

I liked Tim Burton's Batman until Christopher Nolan's adaptation smoked him. The ones Joel Schumacher directed (even though I like some Joel Schumacher films) were just horrific. Batman is actually a very dark, disturbing character. Helicopter parents in the U.S. won't let their kids watch a REALLY ACCURATE depiction of the Batman story from the 1939 graphic novel.

August 26, 2013 at 10:47 am | Reply
    • stanlee

yeah, i am going to go out on a limb and say that 99% of people will not agree. the most recent movies are in a different league and are far superior.

August 26, 2013 at 11:02 am | Reply
    • john

Tim Burton's movies aren't very good. The Dark Knight was a million times better than any Tim Burton batman movie..

August 26, 2013 at 12:12 pm | Reply
  47. MarkMiami

How could they leave off Tom Cruise as Vampire Lestat? worst casting ever – even Anne Rice hated it and couldn't keep it to herself

August 26, 2013 at 9:52 am | Reply
  48. Bryan Denson

Heath Ledger as joker was a fantastic move, her was my favorite Joker of all time. And I will admit I was not happy with Daniel Craig as Bond, but it turned out to be a great move and he played in some great Bond flicks

August 26, 2013 at 9:43 am | Reply
  49. Epidi

Craig looks more like Putin than Bond lol.

August 26, 2013 at 9:41 am | Reply
  50. Jacob

I enjoyed Skyfall, but Craig looks nothing like Bond. He may be a good actor, but he will never be Bond,to me. Most of the others were good,although Keaton as Batman is and was a stretch.

August 26, 2013 at 9:40 am | Reply
  51. ora pike

yes we should give ben a chance-problem is C bale was perfect and that last shot when he was in the restaurant that his butler went to every year is the perfect place to start the next batman-but lets give him a chance-sorry for my first reaction.

August 26, 2013 at 9:38 am | Reply
    • Johnny Genius

Bale was not "perfect". He was fine but pretty bland. Batman didn't do anything interesting after Begins with him, it just became a "villain of the week" series. People really oversell the quality of the Nolan trilogy in general. Dark Knight was fun, and Ledger was good, but it was also a convoluted mess, and Rises was overlong, convoluted, and laughably illogical at every turn.

August 26, 2013 at 10:26 am | Reply
      • Johnny Genius

Begins is a very solid Bman flick though, imo.

August 26, 2013 at 10:27 am | Reply
      • Andrew

The whole Nolan/Bale Batman series was about morality and ethics. It was not convoluted, but it might have appeared that way if you missed the point of the series.

Do people have the right to take justice in to their own hands?
        Should vigilantes kill?
        What if our official justice system fails, what recourse do good men have, if any?
        Is it immoral to sacrifice some for the greater good? (this was a common theme in ALL three of the movies)
        Should you compromise your morals when faced with a decision that could negatively affect you if you don't?
        Do we have privacy rights? His eavesdropping machine from TDK directly paralleled the PATRIOT Act and called into question when it is and is not acceptable to invade peoples privacy.

The entire series was riddled with people facing tough decisions to do what is right and what is wrong, and figuring out where that gray area lays. To say it was a convoluted mess displays a lack of understanding of the movie entirely.

August 26, 2013 at 1:42 pm | Reply
  52. BH

So if some random person in, what looks like, Russia made a website saying craigisnotbond then that's a large fan base not liking the decision? I thought Craig did well in all his Bond movies.
    Also, Ledger was the best Joker.
    Keaton >>>>>>>>>> Bale as Batman. Bale is the worst Batman of all time...why does he insist on doing that dumb growl/whisper talk???
    Catwoman was just bad, no one could have saved that character.

August 26, 2013 at 9:30 am | Reply
    • E

hello people...this article is about what people thought of the CASTING not the performance!!! Geez.

August 26, 2013 at 9:51 am | Reply
    • Buck

Bale was the worst Batman ever? You must not have seen any of the previous Batman movies.

August 26, 2013 at 10:09 am | Reply
    • max

Keaton turned out to be be the best (and most sympathetic) Batman, possibly because he exceeded the low expectations set for him. Bale is probably 2nd best but he's somewhat bland flat, and now plays a supporting role to the villain (the real star). Val Kilmer and George Clooney may have had the misfortune of being associated with the worst written and directed Batman movies in the series, but I also suspect they weren't that good anyway.

August 26, 2013 at 11:48 am | Reply
  53. Dee

Clooney was the WORST Batman, EVER! It was like watching a Bobble Head Doll episode of Batman with his notorious head shaking.

August 26, 2013 at 9:27 am | Reply
    • moose

....or anything from Bollywood

August 26, 2013 at 11:46 am | Reply
    • Cat

I haven't seen any of the Batman movies but Clooney himself said he almost destroy the franchise, he admitted he was the worst Batman

August 26, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Reply
  54. SeaTigr

Meh. Everybody has their opinions. It all depends on your perspective.

Personally, I thought Michael Keaton was brilliant as Bruce Wayne/Batman. I had no trouble believing him to be a good man with a dark secret. Ditto Christian Bale. I was never able to get there with Messrs. Clooney or Kilmer. Would Mr. Keaton be able to pull off BW/Batman today? Probably not. Fight scene/martial arts choreography today is light years ahead of where it was in the 1980s, and Michael Keaton would need a lot of pre-filming conditioning and training to make a believable fighting bad.@$$.

OTOH, I liked Daniel Craig as James Bond, but some British friends of mine can't stand him. They say his accent is all wrong. Bond is supposed to have the accent of the upper class, and Mr. Craig apparently has a very working class accent. According to my friends, it is the equivalent of casting a woman with a Brooklyn accent as Scarlet O'Hara. On a side note, Ian Fleming did not initially approve of Sir Sean Connery's casting as James Bond, saying that Sir Connery was not what he had imagined CDR Bond to look like. It was only after seeing, and being impressed by, Sir Connery's portrayal of James Bond in "Dr. No" that Mr. Fleming changed his mind – to the point of creating a half-Scottish, half-Swiss, heritage for James Bond (as revealed in the novels published after "Dr. No" was released).

August 26, 2013 at 9:24 am | Reply
    • Ned

SeaTigr: Pretty much all the fighting in Keaton's Batman films was done by stuntmen–after all, it's pretty hard to tell who's wearing the suit. All Keaton would have to do to play Batman today is keep trim, which he seems to do.

August 26, 2013 at 9:37 am | Reply
      • mjm

Keaton was horrible. A pudgy, balding, unattractive Bruce Wayne was hard to swallow. Bale got it close in the first BM flick. Keaton as BM today?? Yeah, he would be great at like 65, completely bald, and a wrinkled mess.

August 26, 2013 at 11:08 am | Reply
  55. cwiz

Are you kidding me? Heath Ledger was an amazing joker!

August 26, 2013 at 9:15 am | Reply
    • Buck

You didn't read the article. People were worried about him being the Joker once they learned he was selected for the role just like people are worried now about Affleck playing Batman. In Heath Ledger's case, he pulled off a brilliant joker and that silenced the critics.

August 26, 2013 at 10:13 am | Reply
    • DoubleDouble416

I agree... and I don't think the writer disagrees with the choice of using Ledger for the role of The Joker either.

I think what they're stating is, when the choice was announced, fans & others online were going nuts about it, saying he was a really bad choice for the role.... Ledger proved those critics wrong right? might also be saying (and if they are, I agree with this part too) that we should give it a chance, see how Affleck turns out before chastising the decision.

Another one I would have added to the list, would be using Timothy Olyphant for the role of Agent 47 in the Hitman movie, I would have preferred they use Jason Statham.

August 26, 2013 at 10:28 am | Reply
      • brokenpinata

Olyphant was an outright TERRIBLE choice for 47, he just didn't fit 47 in looks or demeanor. Sadly, I don't think Statham would have been a good fit either. He's too emotional of an actor.

And it's only going to get worse, because if it's true, the next Hitman is going to have Paul Walker as 47. Ugh... all it needs is Uwe Boll attached to direct.

August 26, 2013 at 12:32 pm | Reply
  56. kms1217

Ben Affleck even managed to ruin Jersey Girls...

August 26, 2013 at 9:08 am | Reply
  57. Tina

While some of those fan outrages I agree with (Tom Cruise, and I'm only warmish on Anne Hathaway – probably the most hated woman in acting), Daniel Craig and Heath Ledger, I believe, excelled at those roles. While Daniel Craig wasn't as smoothly handsome as some of the previous Bonds, he did have rugged good looks, and brought an....interesting twist on the way he's played the role – almost like they were scripted specifically for him, especially Casino Royale, but we know that was the first Ian Flemming book.
    Heath Ledger simply shone as Joker. With the new incarnation of the "Batman" series, I had doubts about revisiting previous villains, however, Heath Ledger brought something to the role that can't be quantified, and some say the dark depths that he had to reach down to play Joker is what ultimately led to his decent into prescription drug overuse/abuse, and eventual death. Ledger had an incredible depth of acting range that he could play, as one previous poster mentioned, Brokeback Mountain was a HUGE departure for him.
    Tim Burton, after Michael Keaton, had noted problems keeping a "Batman" cast, whether it be because fans didn't embrace it, the actors refused to return, or whatever reason (I was young enough I didn't really care), and although I've seen the Tim Burton Batman movies in the intervening 24 years, frankly, I wasn't paying attention to how good of a job Keaton did in the role. At the age I was when Burton's first Batman came out, to me, Keaton WAS Batman to me. For me, Val Kilmer was clearly the worst of Burton's Batmen to be cast.

August 26, 2013 at 8:50 am | Reply
  58. Minion

Moderators, what gives? There's not a single close to sounding bad word anywhere within anything I've written.

August 26, 2013 at 8:49 am | Reply
  59. Minion

Touting Anne Hathaway as Catwoman as a success story is not the best way to go with this.

August 26, 2013 at 8:47 am | Reply
  60. JJ

Wow. I must be a terrible movie critic. I liked all these actors in their roles. Of course, I haven't read the Jack Reacher books so I wouldn't know the difference, I was skeptical but really like Daniel Craig as Bond and I am a big fan of Affleck (minus the whole J.Lo disaster) so I'm looking forward to seeing his contribution to the Batman character. I'm crossing my fingers for pure entertainment.

August 26, 2013 at 8:47 am | Reply
  61. powerfail

Ben Affleck as Batman in the new Superman movie? Well...I guess that movie is going to suck, isn't it? Affleck is more of a Hollywood "personality" rather than a serious actor.

August 26, 2013 at 8:43 am | Reply
    • 800lb

Have you seen Argo, The Town, The Company Men? Stop regurgitating opinions that you heard from cooler talk with your friends.

August 26, 2013 at 11:54 am | Reply
  62. KalNJ

Afflack already played Batman, it was called Daredevil and he simply didn't "work" as a brooding, depressed hero.

It doesn't matter anyway, movies are a director's medium and actors have very little to do with the final product.

August 26, 2013 at 8:40 am | Reply
  63. n222s

The Keaton Batman was a different Batman than Bale's. The former was firmly rooted in a fantasy world (I know, it is all fantasy) but the latter was a fantasy set in the real world. Each was appropriate for the film's tone.

The comic Daredevil is a lot like the gritty Batman. I don't think Affleck was an effective Daredevil and I think he will be an epic fail as Batman. Affleck is at his best when he plays the affable or vulnerable guy. He can't pull off the tough guy.

Think of it this way – could you imagine a fight between Bale's Batman and Straitharn's (sorry is misspelled) character in the Transporter series. Kick ass fight Now imagine Ben Affleck's Daredevil vs. Straitharn's.

There ya go.

August 26, 2013 at 8:36 am | Reply
  64. S

The worst casting decision ever – Hanoi Jane as Nancy Reagan!

August 26, 2013 at 8:25 am | Reply
  65. Beavis

Wait, what?? Ben Affleck's acting career was a catastrophic failure for a reason. Generally the outrage is caused by more reasons than "x amount of people said he can't do it". I guess that would invalidate this article's reason to exist though, so it was naturally left out.

August 26, 2013 at 8:13 am | Reply
  66. jules

Keaton was Batman. No one else has ever come close. Nickleson was the only Joker. The rest were just actors in bad make-up.
    Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher was comedy. Reacher would eat Cruise for breakfast and still be hungry. There are at least a dozen known and unknown actors who could have done Reacher, Cruise isn't even close.
    Lee Child said Cruise was chosen to "bring in the viewers..." well it didn't work. If you didn't read the books you didn't care about some unknown guy named "Jack Reacher." If you read the books you wanted Reacher, all 6'5"/250lbs of him. A mega failure for everyone. I'll never read another Reacher book, he's been ruined. Which is a real shame cause Jack Reacher is the kind of man/hero we really need.

August 26, 2013 at 8:09 am | Reply
  67. laurab68

One I think was completely wrong for the part of Snow White was "Twilight's" Kristen Stewart. The girl cannot act to save her life.

August 26, 2013 at 8:05 am | Reply
  68. keith

Heath Ledger had already proved his acting range after his oscar nominated role in brokeback mountain. While Ben Affleck is fantastic behind a camera, his acting is not the highlight of the movies he has worked on.

August 26, 2013 at 8:01 am | Reply
  69. Ken

I agree with all of them except Daniel Craig. He is a great James Bond.

August 26, 2013 at 7:45 am | Reply
  70. Ed

Come on everybody, lets bring back Adam West and Burt Ward!

August 26, 2013 at 7:37 am | Reply
  71. Howie

Cruise as the Vampire Lestat was ahorrible choice. In fact Cruise in anything is a bad call.

August 26, 2013 at 7:36 am | Reply
  72. My 2 cents

Choices
    #5 Dont know the book so no opinion
    #4 DC did Bond Very Well, if people thought he was lame, look at how well all 3 movies did. He brought back the bare knuckle kind of Bond.
    #3 She did ok, but just seemed too "nice"
    #2 MK, mixed feelings on this one
    #1 KL brought a new level of evil to this role, would loved to have seen where his acting would have gone next

August 26, 2013 at 6:59 am | Reply
    • Ken in MD

Remember that these were considered by fans as bad CASTING decisions – before the movies were released. Many of them did well and were considered good performances, but after the fact.

August 26, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Reply
  73. Sane Person

Except for Cruise, all of those actors pulled off their roles well. The fans got Reacher right. Cruise turned it into a 'meh' standard action flick instead of a Jack Reacher movie.

August 26, 2013 at 6:31 am | Reply
  74. Scott

Nicholson and Ledger got differenly written roles to play, and I thought both did a great job Nicholson would have been awesome but for the make-up. Come ON! what make-up can improve the grin of Jack Nicholson??? Besides, I fretted over the casting of Craig as 007, too, but I LOVE his Bond. He won me over. I think Affleck has a shot

August 26, 2013 at 4:44 am | Reply
  75. Nicholas

I loved Jack as the Joker but Heath Ledger's Joker is downright frightening and disturbing, apples and oranges I guess. I was looking though fan forums circa July 2006 when Ledger was announced and while there were some cries of blasphemy, most people gave Nolan the benefit of the doubt at the time; although they couldn't quite see Ledger as the Joker for themselves. Oddly, a lot of people were hoping for Steve Buschemi or Crispin Glover as the Joker??!?!? I hope Affleck pulls it off.

August 26, 2013 at 3:34 am | Reply
  76. MJ Louis

P.S., Let's give Affleck a shot at it and see how he does......after all, look at how many were so wrong about Ledger.

August 26, 2013 at 1:36 am | Reply
  77. MJ Louis

Nicholson was terrible as the Joker. He played on the cartoon character as a cartoon character. Ledger on the other hand was an absolute psycho socio-path as the Joker. No comparison, Ledger was amazing in the part and Nicholson could have taken notes on how to do that role right.

August 26, 2013 at 1:34 am | Reply
  78. Sheebbee

I could never understand casting Toby Maguire as Spiderman. Killed my love for it!

August 26, 2013 at 1:12 am | Reply
  79. Ryan

but... none of the backlash from any of these decisions was anywhere near as loud as what we've seen for the Affleck decision. Also, except for Craig as Bond, none of these casting decisions were as bad. You left one out: Clooney as Batman. Big backlash, and the critics in that case couldn't have been more right. Clooney made an awful Batman. Affleck is in the same vein. Pretty guy and capable actor just totally wrong for the role.

August 26, 2013 at 12:39 am | Reply
  80. Judy Wood

I thought Michael Keaton made the best Batman, yes better than Christian Bale. I think Ben can channel the insanity of Batman in ways that Christian Bale is incapable of.

August 26, 2013 at 12:38 am | Reply
  81. samsart

Keaton was fantastic as Batman. A true combination of good and evil. Ledger was good in 'Roar', after that, not so much .Best Joker was Cesar Romero. Nicholson was just Nicholson in makeup. Cruise is minimally adept in any role, so to play Reacher was ridiculous.

August 26, 2013 at 12:30 am | Reply
  82. bigshotdirector

Say all you want Afflec is not going to pull it off... This will be the worst batman ever produced...

August 26, 2013 at 12:12 am | Reply
    • GonzoG

I thought that was Batman and Robin–The one that killed Chris O'Donnell's career. And didn't do much for anybody else's in the movie.

August 26, 2013 at 12:32 am | Reply
    • trevor

Val kilmer was the worst bat man. Followed closely by Christian Bale and his ridiculous bat man voice.

August 26, 2013 at 12:33 am | Reply
    • Mary

He will do as well as any of the others did!

August 26, 2013 at 8:44 am | Reply
    • Magicbus101

I most definitely agree 100% that this is one of the worst casting decisions ever made. Also, he's too tall along side Henry Cavill. Supes is supposed to be taller because he's SUPERMAN!

August 26, 2013 at 9:13 am | Reply
    • SD

You do know Affleck isn't Batman for a Batman movie, right? He has been chosen as Batman for the next Man of Steel movie....no one is producing a Batman movie yet.

August 26, 2013 at 9:14 am | Reply
  83. rick

Keaton was the best batman and I like Bales batman but that supporting cast (in every movie) was pretty great. Not to mention the hilarious voice he used while he was suited up, I mean I seriously thought he was not far behind Keaton at all but that voice was too laughable, good thing the director, writers, and cast were so great. One last thing on batman but I honestly hate Bale as a person (haha, terminator) and he is a great actor but made it a point to see batman because of what Keaton had done, what Kilmer and Clooney failed to do, and because of the great director and casting of Liam Neeson, Heath Ledger, and Tom Hardy. (not to mention Gary Oldman and the best Alfred ever Michael Caine). Catwoman I wasn't sold on but she did well, better than I expected. Tom Cruise is not a terrific actor to begin with and what I've learned from you guys, as I have not read the books, he does not fit the character. Daniel Craig is a fantastic Bond. I honestly just got to watch Skyfall and that was amazing. I'm biased though because I'm partial to Javier, one of the best actors in the business (especially when it comes to bad guys).

August 26, 2013 at 12:03 am | Reply
    • Fred

I thought Micheal Keaton was the best Batman as well.

August 26, 2013 at 5:22 am | Reply
    • sybaris

Couldn't stand Bales as Batman, his voice, he sounded like Clint Eastwood. Very distracting

August 26, 2013 at 7:46 am | Reply
  84. Shane

Heath Ledger was by far the better Joker. His character is dark and twisted. They tried to make it a little more realistic than the emo/comic vision that Burton directed. Jack Nicholson did not play the Joker......Jack Nicholson played Jack Nicholson with the Joker's makeup on.

August 25, 2013 at 11:17 pm | Reply
    • GonzoG

I liked both Jokers for different reasons. Can't really explain the reasons...but I liked Nicholson and Ledger.

August 26, 2013 at 12:35 am | Reply
    • Tallus Rip

500% Agree.

August 26, 2013 at 1:32 am | Reply
    • brokenpinata

I like to think of Jack Nicholson's Joker as a dark reinterpretation of Cesar Romero's Joker from the original TV series. Crazy and unhinged, but at the same almost tacky and ridiculous. Jack took this formula and added bloodlust to it.

August 26, 2013 at 9:14 am | Reply
  85. rgjutro

All of those castings I was fine with, except Tom Cruise as Reacher. He is 6'5" and about 250 in the books. His size is a MAJOR trait in all of the books, and probably accounts for 50% of his story-lines. If you remove that element from the character, you are not really playing that character anymore, but someone else. I like Cruise a lot, he just isn't built to play Reacher, no matter how great of an actor he is.

August 25, 2013 at 11:16 pm | Reply
    • Mary

Tom Cruise was the worst casting of all........they needed someone like Hugh Jackman to play Reacher. There was absolutely NOTHING about Cruise that said, "oh yeah, Jack Reacher".......grrrrrrr

August 26, 2013 at 8:47 am | Reply
  86. Miked

Usually special roles lead up to playing a superhero, like Henry Cavill did in Immortals. There were some familiar references like the red flowing cape the Indian woman had that saved him from the oil deluge (symbolism to make up for superman 3 that led up to a key location in Man of Steel). Even Christian Bale has played the biblical role of Jesus in Mary, Mother of Jesus. There has to be a mythological, biblical and epic connection to the role that comes before the role of the modern-myth superhero. It's a role that is deserved, not chosen for commercial purposes of an Oscar win for best writing or best picture. That would deserve a spot for directing the Justice League movie. But to play the role of Batman requires some special initiation or symbolic bequeathing. Good luck Snyder and I hope Ben respects the role and takes it seriously. (Unlike when he flashed the smug-smile in the hero shot of Dare Devil when he tells the villain, "Time to pay the devil his due")

August 25, 2013 at 11:01 pm | Reply
    • melbobadilla

Well, to be fair to Ben...he did play George Reeves. And he was on screen with the actual superman suit on. So I would think that would satisfy the mythic right of passage to an iconic character – even if it was derivative.
      I didn't see Ben being a mythical persona in either DD or the George Reeves movie. I am really displeased by him being the chosen one. Especially after CBale.

August 25, 2013 at 11:42 pm | Reply
  87. cnnleinzvalesCNN

Reblogged this on Behind The Lens (Leinz Vales) and commented:
    Here's my latest piece... 5 casting decisions fans hated.

August 25, 2013 at 10:58 pm | Reply
  88. 1 Dog Mama

Cruise was so wrong to play Reacher and Reacher was not only 6 foot 5 inches but 250 pounds! Nicholson was the best Joker! Didn't care for Michael Keeton as Batman either. I picture James Bond as being sauve and debonair. And very good looking.

August 25, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Reply
    • jagger

Agree with most of your info – But Heath Ledger was the BEST Joker to every play this role. And I enjoy Cesar Romero from when I was a kid...loved the funny laugh etc...Nicholson played it great – but Ledger nailed it!

August 25, 2013 at 11:49 pm | Reply
      • Rheon

Ledger was amazing as a unique Joker for that universe, but it wasn't THE Joker. It was just another universe take on him. The perfect Joker IMO is Mark Hamill. He's done the role over 20 years and no one has come close.

August 26, 2013 at 6:55 am | Reply
  89. CupofJoe

I doubted Cruise could pull of Jack Reacher as I am a great fan of Reacher books, but he did a decent job. Craig was a great Bond and Ledger was wonderful – he would have won the Oscar dead or alive. So-So on Keaton and Hathaway.
    BUT as good an actor as Affleck is, he won't be a good batman

August 25, 2013 at 10:11 pm | Reply
    • Aaron

I disagree. I for one think that Affleck can pull it off. Tall, Heavy build, dark handsome type of guy fits the bill. Also Snyder came out and said that this batman is going to be more of a veteran batman rather than the year one batman that bale played. With that in mind i think Affleck will do well.

August 25, 2013 at 11:38 pm | Reply
      • brokenpinata

The problem is, to play Batman, an actor has to be able to pull off two separate characters: Bruce Wayne and Batman, who have two strikingly different personalities. While Ben may be able to pull off Bruce Wayne, I don't think he's going to do Batman justice. I highly doubt he can get his voice to the low gravely sound that has become expected without sounding ridiculous.

August 26, 2013 at 9:23 am | Reply
  90. Satirev

"Many fans of the Lee Child books cited the height difference, insisting that Cruise was too short to play the role. In the books, Reacher is 6-foot-5 while Cruise comes in at 5-foot-6 in real life."

Interesting. The comic book character wolverine is described as being 5'3 or 5'5". Yet I never heard anyone complain or ask why 6'2" Hugh Jackman was cast to play that character.

August 25, 2013 at 10:02 pm | Reply
    • FKell

Just as surprised as we were with his Daredevil? Opps... I the DD word. Fans remember saying and reading reviews like "Affleck's lanky, offhand softness hardly suits the superheroic archetype" from that movie. And that was a character lesser known to the greater public than Batman. Again, I stand behind comments I made the other day. The directory/producer/casting didn't want a Batman who would upstage Superman....

August 25, 2013 at 11:16 pm | Reply
    • Greg

I do remember people complaining about that before the first X-Men movie.

August 26, 2013 at 9:11 am | Reply
      • Satirev

August 26, 2013 at 12:04 pm | Reply
      • Satirev

Not nearly to the extent that they have complained about a short guy being cast as a tall character. Society in general harbors hate and disdain for short men while viewing tall men in an almost demi-god like status. Tom Cruise is a classic example of this. Sure people will say they hate him because of his Scientology beliefs or behaviors, but they always make sure to state he's short, which makes it soooo much easier to hate him.

August 26, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Reply
  91. Victoria

seems to me the POINT is they are actors...acting in a role...whatever role it may be. Who knows? We might be pleasantly surprised by Ben Affleck's Batman.

August 25, 2013 at 9:44 pm | Reply
    • bobbaft

And if we don't, Hollywood will just redo it in a couple years anyway, just like Spiderman and Hulk.

August 26, 2013 at 9:38 am | Reply
  92. DWW

Well, considering Daniel Craig makes a pretty good Bond (my 2nd favorite behind Connery), Keaton made a good batman, Ledger made arguably to best Joker ever (though an argument can certainly be made for Nicholson as the best Joker), and Hathaway was at least serviceable as Catwoman I don't think it really matters all that much what legions of fanboys are screaming about on the internet. I can't comment on Cruise as Jack Reacher since I never saw the movie or read any of the books, but on face of it, he seems miscast there.

Fanboys aren't always right, and frequently what some of the loudest ones want would be pretty damn stupid on screen. Hell, there are Tolkien fanboys out there who are still mad that Peter Jackson cut out everything regarding Tom Bombadil from the movie (can you imagine some weird guy where bright blue pants and a bright yellow shirt prancing around and singing stupid songs in the middle of the movie?? I can't either...)

August 25, 2013 at 9:42 pm | Reply
    • GonzoG

Honestly–I skip over those two chapter's anyway–when the Hobbits leave Buckland–I head STRAIGHT for Fog on the Barrow Downs.

August 26, 2013 at 12:37 am | Reply
  93. Gwen

Loved Daniel Craig as Bond....and still going strong! Heath Ledger played a convincing Joker...amazing is the word i would use...and Micheal Keaton was a good Batman. Now he was no Christian Bale, but was good....Christian Bale hands down is the best Batman...while i will give Ben a chance to dethrone Bale..it will be really tough to beat!

August 25, 2013 at 9:42 pm | Reply
    • vassavassa

Bale was possibly the worst Batman ever. Read this thread for confirmation. I don't car who you have a 'crush' on.

August 26, 2013 at 9:51 am | Reply
  94. Techno Viking

I've never been a big Anne Hathaway fan, but she rocked that outfit good

August 25, 2013 at 9:29 pm | Reply
  95. Calcommuter

Yes, many fans didnt like those choices at first, but none caused such an uproar as the latest one. Mr Ed playing Catwoman was a stretch as was her costume. But in all the other choices, they can act unlike Gigli boy. WB better hope the Chinese market accepts him so they can recoup their money.

August 25, 2013 at 9:25 pm | Reply
  96. Jeff

Seeing as how Heath Ledger won the Oscar for his performance of the Joker, I would say that fans can get it wrong. Fans think that because they read the book or comic before the movie comes out, they are somehow enlightened as to what can or will make a good movie. Each and every actor listed above did quite a good job with their respective characters. Ben Affleck just might surprise people too.

August 25, 2013 at 8:03 pm | Reply
    • Walter

Posthumous Oscars always call into question whether the individual truly deserved it.

August 25, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Reply
      • ddimon

I don't think many people would say he didn't deserve it.

August 25, 2013 at 10:17 pm | Reply
      • Him

Nonetheless, Ledger's performance as the Joker, is about as riveting a villanous portrayal gets; comprable in modern cinema to Jack Nicholson's Jack in the Shining, Bardem's Anton Chigurh in No Country for Old Men, and possibly even Anthony Hopkin's portrayal of Dr. Hannibal Lecter, in Silence of the Lambs.

August 25, 2013 at 10:21 pm | Reply
        • DerpDDerperson

No. Ledger's Joker doesn't come anywhere near the great Anthony Hopkins portrayal of Dr. Lecter. He was GOOD as The Joker. Oscar good? Dunno about that. I believe that was more of a pity trophy than anything else.

August 25, 2013 at 10:47 pm | Reply
      • vahellbilly

Well, in this particular case, Mr. Ledger nailed it regardless...

August 25, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Reply
      • Sergio

Posthumous Oscars rarely happen.

August 25, 2013 at 10:27 pm | Reply
      • Kathleen

Would normally agree with you but since he won over 20 awards for that one performance, including various film critic and film festival awards and a Golden Globe, I'm guessing some felt he truly deserved the Oscar as well.

August 25, 2013 at 10:29 pm | Reply
      • Greg

His performance was getting Oscar buzz before his death. I think his death basically made it a slam dunk win, from like a 60-70% chance to almost 100%, but he almost certainly still would have won if he was still alive.

August 26, 2013 at 9:17 am | Reply
      • Melissa

Always? Do you realize that before Ledger's posthumous Oscar, there was only ever one given out for acting...to Peter Finch? That bit of research gives absolutely no credit to your statement. It's actually more difficult to receive a posthumous Oscar, due to the fact that they don't want it being regarded as pity.

August 26, 2013 at 6:32 pm | Reply
    • Jesus

Heath Ledger was terrible. Like Andy Dick with clown makeup.

August 25, 2013 at 10:28 pm | Reply
      • Stimpy

Jesus, verily I say to thee ... thou art full of it.

August 26, 2013 at 12:36 am | Reply
      • kingswoodroad

I agree. He resonated with the under 25 crowd and his unfortunate death helped, but the movie itself, along with Heath's performance, were way overrated.

August 26, 2013 at 10:26 am | Reply
  97. DerpDDerperson

Jack Nicholson was soooo much better as The Joker. And for all that whining people did about it, Michael Keaton was the best Batman.

August 25, 2013 at 7:52 pm | Reply
    • Redspotz

Jack Nicholson, as always, plays Jack Nicholson. Overrated.

August 25, 2013 at 9:43 pm | Reply
      • Ken in MD

I'll watch Nicholson play Nicholson any time. A true master of his art. I've seen the courtroom scene of "A Few Good Men" 20 times at least. And I'm not watching it for Cruise.

August 26, 2013 at 12:10 pm | Reply
    • foosfam

Absolutely right...... Nicholson and Keaton NAILED it..... Nough said.....

August 25, 2013 at 9:49 pm | Reply
      • john

It's your opinion, but your wrong.

August 26, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Reply
    • Tina

It depends on how you were looking for Batman to be played. In Burton's movies, everything was campy, almost, if you will, a call back to the original series – at least in the first movies – so of course, Joker was as campy as the rest of the scripting, and Jack Nicholson embraced that, but he, too, acknowledged you had to embrace the Joker's dark side. If you prefer the reboot of the Batman series, everything was darker, every villain was more sinister, so the campy Joker of Jack Nicholson wasn't called for, but a much darker Joker.

August 26, 2013 at 8:54 am | Reply
  98. James D. Humbert

Heath leather was the best joker in joker history

August 24, 2013 at 9:13 pm | Reply
    • Judy Wood

Sorry, that honor goes to Jack.

August 26, 2013 at 12:39 am | Reply
      • darknesscrown

Jack Nicholson was good in Batman '89, but don't EVEN say he was the best ever. The Joker was a pure archvillain...the mirror image of Batman, which is why their relationship in the story is so captivating. Batman was a half step away from being "evil". Ledger was the best Joker ever because he made that happen.

August 26, 2013 at 10:50 am | Reply
        • Aaron D.

Indeed, Heath Ledger literally became the part of Joker after studying the Joker for many many months. I think the directors said he would lock himself in his hotel and spent all his time "becoming" the Joker.

August 26, 2013 at 12:27 pm | Reply
    • AMinion

Not so. Even though he just voice acted Joker, Mark Hamil will forever be THE joker, in my opinion.

August 26, 2013 at 8:46 am | Reply