Malaysian officials tell CNN they may send a ship to investigate claims the missing plane may be in the Bay of Bengal.
That's where an Australian company says it believes it saw plane wreckage a month ago.
This comes as the U.S. underwater drone, the Bluefin-21, has only days left to search for the plane in the southern Indian Ocean.
That is, unless Australians and U.S. officials sign a new agreement to keep using the drone, which costs the Defense Department $40,000 a day to operate.
CNN's Richard Quest, Aviation Analyst Miles O'Brien and Aviation Attorney Arthur Rosenberg discuss whether it's a good decision to send assets to a new location when officials say they are "satisfied" with data that shows the plane is likely in the southern Indian Ocean, and not in the Bay of Bengal.
(CNN) PETALUMA, CALIFORNIA – Earlier this year, a dusty little slaughterhouse in Northern California was ground zero for one of the biggest meat recalls in years. Rancho Feeding Corp. had called back nearly 9 million pounds of bad meat from thousands of unsuspecting stores across the country.
The story of how millions of pounds of bad meat – products the U.S. Department of Agriculture called “unfit for human food” – made it out into the world and triggered a criminal investigation is one of staggering deception and cancerous cows, federal officials familiar with the investigation tell CNN. And the plant where it all went down was also the setting for an illicit romance, according to documents obtained by CNN.
Federal investigators started surveillance on the California facility after getting a tip from a former Rancho employee. In January, federal marshals raided the Petaluma plant and seized the company's records. Days later, the first recall notice went out, officials said.
Investigators now believe that Rancho was buying diseased dairy cows and processing them when government inspectors weren’t there. After the cows were killed, employees would hide the warning signs of cancer by trimming off diseased parts, using a fake stamp of approval or even replacing the heads of sick cows with ones from healthy animals. It’s unclear which employees were involved, officials said.
The account provides a fuller picture of what happened inside the plant than has been previously made public. In a letter a day after the first recall, the USDA told Rancho an investigation found that the facility “shipped adulterated and misbranded product” and hadn’t inspected cattle that “were likely affected with epithelioma of the eye (eye cancer).”
But that wasn’t the only misconduct going down at the plant. Turns out that one of the government inspectors – someone responsible for protecting consumers from bad meat – was having a romantic relationship with a plant foreman, according to a USDA email obtained by CNN.
The owner of the Los Angeles Clippers received a lifetime ban from the NBA this week after audio recordings surfaced of Donald Sterling making racist remarks to his alleged mistress.
But this isn't the first time he's been involved in a racially-charged controversy.
In 2003, tenants of a L.A. apartment complex owned by Sterling and his wife, Rochelle, claimed they were repeatedly harassed by the Sterlings solely because of their race.
Our Kyung Lah spoke with the former tenant who filed that suit.
Every day millions of people log onto their computers and expose themselves to cyber spies. But there are some things you can do to avoid it though.
In an interview with CNN's Erin Burnett, "Inside Man" Morgan Spurlock shows us how to avoid the traps.
— Inside Man (@InsideManCNN) May 2, 2014
(CNN) - Nigerian authorities specified Friday that a total of 276 schoolgirls were taken last month by militants from a boarding school, but 53 of them escaped, leaving 223 still in the hands of their captors, police said.
Those numbers are higher than previously reported. Authorities had been saying about 230 girls were abducted in the dead of night at a high school in the country's northeast region - a hotbed for the Islamist group Boko Haram - and roughly 200 of the girls were missing.
Authorities quickly added Friday that the new figure for missing girls - 223 - could grow as police fill in spotty school enrollment records.
At a minimum, Friday's announcement provided a clearer picture of how many girls are still missing.
"After thorough investigation by the police and other security agencies we have been able to compile a list of 276 girls initially abducted from the school," said Lawan Tanko, the Borno state police commissioner.
"Out of this number 53 were able to escape while 223 are still being held by the kidnappers," Tanko said. "This list may not be exhaustive because there could be other missing girls excluded because their parents may not have registered their names, which is why we have made announcement calling on parents whose girls were missing at the school to come forward and submit the name of their missing children."