November 18th, 2014

New video appears to show Ferguson officer Darren Wilson in confrontation with local resident

A new video appears to show Darren Wilson - the white police officer in Ferguson, Missouri who shot and killed Michael Brown - in an angry argument with another local resident.

Sara Sidner is OutFront in Ferguson.

Filed under: Ferguson • Michael Brown • News
  1. oops

I lived in St nothing surprises me with the police department there or what the Prosecuting Attorney's Office does. I am NOT saying that Michael Brown was innocent but I do believe that the police officer is guilty. St Louis police love to throw their weight around in my own experience I was the victim of a robbery but the prosecuting attorney's office let the statue of limitations has run out and the wife of a deceased police officer got away with robbing me. Dave Truman of the prosecuting attorney's office informed me that they interviewed the lady that robbed me but they never interviewed me he said when the case is closed. it is been my experience that if your immediate family of a police officer alive or deceased you can do anything you want and get away with it

December 5, 2014 at 1:04 pm | Reply
  2. Clarence Thomas

Wilson should have been kicked off the police force long before the Brown incident. The great majority of officers do their job well, but there are always a few creeps like Wilson who should be weeded out very early on.

December 3, 2014 at 2:49 am | Reply
    • Diana

I agree that officer Darren Wilson should have been removed from the police department before Michael Brown was even shot, perhaps if Wilson had been removed, things might have turned out differently

December 8, 2014 at 8:49 pm | Reply
  3. JohnRJohnson

I don't see how this was an "angry exchange". I don't hear any anger in the officer's voice at all. He was dealing with a guy whom he probably knew he would have to arrest. Maybe he was wrong to tell this guy he didn't have the right to video the incident, but so what. The officer doesn't appear to make any attempt to stop him from filming it. Lots of people going way out of their way to define Wilson in a less than flattering light. OK. Let's do the same with Michael Brown.

November 27, 2014 at 3:05 pm | Reply
  4. Robert Maxwell

The police have reduced their complex functions to mainly one - being enough of a threat in a community to discourage not just crime but misbehavior. They have badges and guns and the authority. to use them to cause fear in others. The culture of some police forces confuse the meanings of "law and order," so that enforcing "order" comes to mean "don't behave in ways I disapprove of."

There is probably selective recruitment going on too. Aggressive guys are drawn to the police mystique. Many, if not most, are likely to be just looking for a good job with nice retirement benefits but, like the rest of us, they have to yield to the traditions of the work place.

The guy taking the video was a moron. He provoked the police officer by needling him: "Don't I have the right to take a picture?" The cop didn't handle it well either. He could have smiled and said, "Sure, go ahead" instead of threatening the photographer.

November 26, 2014 at 2:09 pm | Reply
  5. Rudy NYC

Someone noted above that there has been another police shooting in NYC. Once again, an unarmed man was shot.

What happened this time is that a young man, his girlfriend, and their 2-3 year old daughter were on there way home to an apartment in a high rise. They tired of waiting for the elevator, and decide to take the steps. As they climbed up, they turned a corner and encountered a "rookie" officer, who had been on the job 18 months. He has been described as a "rookie" in the media for some reason.

The officer already had his gun drawn and almost immediately fired. It is reported that it is against police department rules and policies to patrol stairwells with a drawn weapon. So far, the only discipline that has been pursued has been to put the officer on desk duty.

November 24, 2014 at 9:37 am | Reply
  6. J.D.

He is a police officer and the nature of his duties involves confrontation. Is this really a news story worth reporting or just more "product" to fill the hype?

November 21, 2014 at 10:04 pm | Reply
  7. Jack

Another shooting in NY. Is it just me or is it about time for the police to find another term to justify improper conduct and or procedure other than, "For officer safety"!!! I am so very sick of hearing this crap! If a cop is to scared to do his or her job without their first response being the pulling of their service revolver, then they need to do like me.... Find employment elsewhere!!!!

November 21, 2014 at 8:53 pm | Reply
  8. No

It's pathetic how people who record police suddenly become upstanding citizens with direct and reasonable vocabulary. As if that's actually their personality. So many fake people in this world.

November 21, 2014 at 1:36 pm | Reply
  9. jboh

I have seen police act that way many times. Some of them just like to throw their badge's weight around. In many cases "serve and protect", has become "command and control". Concidering the widespread abuse of civil forfiture laws to outright steal citizens' $, just for having it, it's easy to see how thugs w/badges think they are above the law. Most cops are diligent public servants, but the good needs to quit covering for the bad. The blue wall serves no one but badge wearing thugs.

November 21, 2014 at 11:24 am | Reply
  10. Timothy E

Oh, looks like I finally found the "criminalizing the victim" I have herd so much about.

November 21, 2014 at 10:28 am | Reply