President Barack Obama and first lady Michele Obama were in Fort Hood Wednesday to pay tribute to the three soldiers killed and 16 injured in last week's shooting rampage.
"What makes this so painful is that we've been here before," Obama said. "This tragedy tears a wound still raw from five years ago. Once more, soldiers who survived foreign war zone were struck down here at home where they're supposed to be safe."
According to investigators, authorities have credible information that specialist Ivan Lopez was involved in a verbal altercation right before he opened fire, killing 3 fellow soldiers at Fort Hood.
16 people were wounded before Lopez turned the gun on himself and took his own life.
The question everyone has on their mind is - why?
CNN's Ed Lavandera has a report on what may have motivated the deadly rampage.
A shooting rampage at Fort Hood, Texas at the hands of a 34-year-old Army Specialist has reignited the debate over gun control and mental health.
Authorities say Ivan Lopez's mental instability may have been a factor when opened fire Wednesday, killing three people and wounding 16 others in the process.
"Couldn't we at least have background checks so that people who are ill mentally, or who are felons, shouldn't be able to buy guns," Senator Harry Senator Harry Reid told reporters Thursday. "Even NRA members, a majority of them, support that so I hope we can bring it back up."
In an interview with CNN's Erin Burnett, Texas Attorney General and Republican Gubernatorial Candidate Greg Abbott said more needs to be done to support the mental health of veterans and active service members.
New details emerged Thursday about the man who went on a shooting rampage in Fort Hood Wednesday.
Three people were killed and 16 others were wounded before a 34-year-old turned the gun on himself.
Officials say Army Specialist Ivan Lopez had a history of psychiatric issues, which may have been a factor in the attack.
The incident was the second major shooting at Ford Hood in less than five years.
Many are now asking how this happened again.
CNN's Ed Lavandera is OutFront.
(CNN) - A suspected shooter at Fort Hood, Texas, is dead, but the situation is still considered an active scene, multiple U.S. officials told CNN on Wednesday.
The base, in an evening statement, said it had an initial report that a shooter was dead, "but this is unconfirmed."
"The injured personnel are being transported to Carl R. Darnall Medical Center and other local hospitals," it said. "Numerous law enforcement agencies are in support and on the scene. The number of injured are not confirmed at this time."
Law enforcement sources tell CNN the initial report is that the incident started as a soldier-on-soldier attack and is not terror-related.
President Barack Obama was briefed and spoke Wednesday evening about the incident.
"The situation is fluid right now ... I want to just assure all of us we are going to get to the bottom of exactly what happened," the President said. "We're heartbroken something like this might have happened again."