August 8th, 2013

Magazine bans 'Redskins' name: Is it time for a change?

Slate, an online magazine, announced Wednesday - it will no longer use the name "Redskins" when referring to Washington's NFL team.

Why Slate will no longer refer to Washington’s NFL team as the Redskins.

They say it's not only tacky and dated but an insult to Native Americans, writing it "reflects an admirable willingness to acknowledge others who once were barely visible to the dominant culture, and to recognize that something that may seem innocent to you may be painful to others."

Washington Redskins' Owner: "We will never change the name of the team"

So is it time for a name change?

OutFront: Syndicated radio show host Michael Medved, CNN Commentator LZ Granderson and Mediaite's Joe Concha.

Filed under: News • Sports
  1. Patty

Why now after so many years?? What's the point? Why aren't they (whoever "they are") wanting to change "Aunt Jemima" pancake mix name? Or dozens of other "politically incorrect" names of things....sheesh, the whole world is getting out of control on their "feelings"...what ever happened to "stick & stones can break my bones, but names will never hurt me?"

August 9, 2013 at 9:45 am | Reply
  2. gtheresab

Dear Ms. Burnett,

Here's hoping that you received our message that we sent you last night on your blog concerning your CNN "Benghazi" presentation–and how we thought that it was excellent and wonderful work by you, Erin! 🙂 We meant every sincere word which was said in our message to you.

Now, to your show tonight: you had a panel discussing changing the Washington Redskins's name due to the many objections and discussions which are occurring amongst many groups. Well, Erin, we have even a better argument when it comes to changing football teams' names . . . like our own home team, the New Orleans Saints!! 🙂 Talk about a whole new ball game with this argument when it comes to those opposed to anything pertaining to religion. (This will definitely start a whole new round table of discussions!)

Well . . . we just wanted to share this tidbit with you, Erin.

As always, all the best to you and your family . . . take care, and God bless.

We wish you and your family a very great, blessed, and Happy T.G.I.F. Friday, Erin; we love you-all! 🙂

P.S.: Go New Orleans Saints! 🙂 Who Dat!!!!

With Our Love and Prayers,
    Kathryn, Gretchen, Lloyd, and Jon Brinker
    Metairie/New Orleans, Louisiana

August 9, 2013 at 12:58 am | Reply
  3. Jerry

This is ridiculous, who is complaining, oh yes, there was one crazy, I think congressman who seemingly was brought to tears by the fact that this team is called the Redskins, he was such a fake. I think it would be an honor. I would be happy if the Philadelphia Phillies were called the Philadelphia Whites. I mean I cannot believe that not one white person would be offended if the Phillies did change their names. All the things we have to really worry about in this world and this is what is being debated. Unbelievable!!!

August 9, 2013 at 12:12 am | Reply
  4. Jerry

Ridiculous, who has this much time on their hands to think how politically incorrect it is to call The Washington football team, "Redskins". Really??? When did it become offensive? Who complained. I would be proud if the Philadelphia Phillies were called the Philadelphia "Whites", so ridiculous.

August 9, 2013 at 12:04 am | Reply
  5. Joey at Purdue Univ

I dunno, they could be the Red Tails. Like after the Tuskegee Airmen? That would be fitting of the nation's capitol, especially with the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture, opening on the National Mall in 2015.

Then again, I don't really have a say in this as a Colts fan.

August 8, 2013 at 11:58 pm | Reply
  6. Scott Mathis

Before anyone puts weight to LZ Grandersons comments on the origin of the word "redskins" and his belief it refers to whites scalping native Americans they should read this article from the Washington Post. NO am not a Redskins fan but the truth is more important than agenda and

August 8, 2013 at 8:27 pm | Reply
  7. Dave Arnold

Are you joking? Racist? What a joke. The over sensitive call it racist and immoral and the uneducated can't bring themselves to consider it might be too much in current times, but people, please, get over it! It's part of our history, fabric and ability to move on in our lives. Though there are many that can't do just that. I, as an actual person of Native American heritage, am in no way offended with the name "Redskins." No one is calling me a Redskin, no one is using it as a derogatory term to describe me or my family....it’s a name of a professional football team. I don't need Slate.com carrying my cause or fighting my battles. What's next – the people of explorer heritage screaming about the Pirates? Raiders? Buccaneers? Braves is okay but Blackhawks, out? People need to shut the hell up and look in their own backyards and take care of their own business. People are killing each other on a daily basis. Where are the advocates for victims? Why isn’t LZ using his ability to get on CNN to scream about black on black crime and murder, drug and alcohol abuse. Why isn’t anyone yelling about teen birth rates? Hunger, disease – No these idiots spend their day figuring out what annoys them, what offends them and they decide what is moral and not. Screw you people. Let’s get our priorities in line and deal with issues that make sense – instead of being a bunch of sore bottoms. Get over yourself LZ and Slate.com. I’d choose better and terser words, but I don’t need to watch another waste of CNN viewer time with your ridiculous set of injured morality. Hey, how about another set of Senate Committee Hearings to decide for me if the name Redskin is immoral……that seemed to work out well the first time, right?

August 8, 2013 at 8:16 pm | Reply
  8. Roland Hoover

Keep the redskins name. In the South peanuts are called redskins. If you have shelled one you know why.
    Just take that profile off the helmets and put a shelled peanut with the skin on the helmet.

August 8, 2013 at 8:00 pm | Reply
  9. Jerome Gilbert

So should the Atlanta Braves, Cleveland Indians,Imoversity of Illinois Illini, Central Michigan Chippewas, and Chicago Blackhawks

August 8, 2013 at 6:51 pm | Reply