.
October 8th, 2013
08:38 PM ET

Malibu High School teachers worry school is giving them cancer

Teachers at Malibu High School are blaming a recent cancer outbreak and other health concerns on alleged contaminants at their school.

Three teachers have been diagnosed with thyroid cancer in the past six month and three more have been treated for other thyroid issues.

Staff members have also experienced migraines, skin rashes, unexplained hair loss, respiratory problems, and even bladder cancer.

School officials say there's no evidence that anything is wrong, but an environmental consulting firm is investigating the concerns.

Miguel Marquez reports for OutFront.


Filed under: Education • Health • News
soundoff (One Response)
  1. Suburban Rant

    We had two similar situations in my town, several years apart and in two different schools, where teachers and children were getting sick. When it happened in my children's elementary school I became involved and discovered some pretty shocking things. There is no state or federal oversight for indoor air quality at schools in our country. Additionally, many schools have environmental companies on retainer, and those companies are financially incented to NOT discover mold, high levels of co2, airborne asbestos and other factrs that contribute to dangerous and unhealthy indoor air quality. I would encourage the parents of the Malibu High School to contact the state Department of Public Health and ask them to contact the school and request a site visit. I would further encourage the parents to demand that the school hire an independent (e.g. chosen by the parents, or tg PTC) environmental company, so that the tests for mold, vocs and other indoor air quality contaminates can be accurately measured and assessed. Finally, I would tell the parents to press forward and to not stop asking questionsuntil they feel that the answers theh are given are true and provide a viable solution. I fought for a year and a half by myself until i finally got the school to admit that there was a serious heah problem in my kids' school. It was not easy but it was the right thing to do.

    October 9, 2013 at 9:12 am | Reply

Post a comment


 

CNN welcomes a lively and courteous discussion as long as you follow the Rules of Conduct set forth in our Terms of Service. Comments are not pre-screened before they post. You agree that anything you post may be used, along with your name and profile picture, in accordance with our Privacy Policy and the license you have granted pursuant to our Terms of Service.